How do you think the girls would react to different routes?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

SpunkySix

How do you think the girls would react to different routes?

Post by SpunkySix »

I mean, it'd be like looking in to an alternate universe for real for them. Let's assume that we're talking about the girls' personalities being canon to their route, and then they're looking at the other ones. There's some differences in portrayal... do you think they'd be happy with how they are shown?

And heck, while we're at it, how do you think Act 1 Hisao would respond to seeing all of the acts 2, 3 and 4? He seems to change subtly based on who is picked, so how would the more generic, cynical Hisao feel about each change?
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
brythain

Re: How do you think the girls would react to different rout

Post by brythain »

SpunkySix wrote:I mean, it'd be like looking in to an alternate universe for real for them. Let's assume that we're talking about the girls' personalities being canon to their route, and then they're looking at the other ones. There's some differences in portrayal... do you think they'd be happy with how they are shown?

And heck, while we're at it, how do you think Act 1 Hisao would respond to seeing all of the acts 2, 3 and 4? He seems to change subtly based on who is picked, so how would the more generic, cynical Hisao feel about each change?
I think Shizune would be the most troubled. She has this desire to make things turn out right. But in some routes (e.g. the ones where Rin goes offstage and is not heard from again), it's clear that this isn't going to work out. Not to mention that she'll find Lilly making up with her later in Lilly's route, possibly as a precursor to making off with Hisao for good, and certainly after making out with him.

After trying to think it over from the others' points of view, I think you've just given me more story prompts than I can shake a stick at.

As for cynical Act 1 Hisao, he would dismiss the good Lilly ending as fantasy, probably think of the good Shizune ending as the best possible outcome, and suspect that Kenji lies in wait most of the time. :D
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
bhtooefr

Post by bhtooefr »

Cynical Act 1 Hisao would likely see Hanako, Emi, and Rin's routes as far more trouble than they're worth, too.

Although he'd also be aware of the Kenji ending, and would likely go to the library instead of the roof... but explicitly trying to push Hanako away altogether, knowing how badly she reacts to being friendzoned.
bhtooefr's one-shot and drabble thread
Enjoy The Silence - Sequel to All I Have (complete)
Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking zombies on this motherfucking forum!
emmjay

Post by emmjay »

Now I can't help but think about Hisao himself complaining about the lack of a route for Misha, or Miki, or Suzu, or Yuuko...
Yuuko > Akira > Miki > Meiko > Sae.

Some one-shots I've written (Updated 7/29/2017)
Munchenhausen

Post by Munchenhausen »

emmjay wrote:Now I can't help but think about Hisao himself complaining about the lack of a route for Misha, or Miki, or Suzu, or Yuuko...
I can imagine this haha
In all fairness, imagine being shown an overview of your own life, complete with different timelines depending on certain, big decisions in life.

Human condition would likely kick in. 'Why didn't I do that instead?'
Like stupid, silly doodles with no point? You've come to the right place, friend :^)
I also occasionally write oneshots. Why not have a skimread?
Miki fic? Miki fic!
---
"We are a small country full of the most stubborn bastards on the planet. You might want to rethink your actions." - Anon
Potato

Post by Potato »

Good-ending Lilly peers into bad-ending-Lilly's route then beats Hisao up for not chasing after her.

Act 1 Hisao would deem Rin and Hanako too much trouble, as most would. Probably would put an early end to Kenji's bullshit after seeing all the nonsense he brings. And may try to take on Shizune and orchestrate the elusive Mishzunesao threesome.

Lilly may not even be aware she's being shown an alternate reality, given that she can't see it. Bad-end Emi and Hanako would probably feel unspeakably lousy after glimpsing their alternates...
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
KrisIsLyra

Post by KrisIsLyra »

Everyone not in Rin's route would wonder why the Hisao of that route is so angry
Last edited by KrisIsLyra on Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
d2r

Post by d2r »

I would imagine they would react as poorly as you or I would react to finding out we were characters in a video game (well, visual novel), with our love lives merely the object of amusement for some far-off presence.
Comrade wrote:infinite options does not mean all options, just like that between every two numbers there are infinite numbers, but not all.

If I see that sentence anywhere I am going to send your head to your mother with a replacment order
If you like a moodier fanfic, why not try mine?
Potato

Post by Potato »

d2r wrote:I would imagine they would react as poorly as you or I would react to finding out we were characters in a video game (well, visual novel), with our love lives merely the object of amusement for some far-off presence.
Unbridled horror and existential crises?
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
d2r

Post by d2r »

Potato wrote:
d2r wrote:I would imagine they would react as poorly as you or I would react to finding out we were characters in a video game (well, visual novel), with our love lives merely the object of amusement for some far-off presence.
More or less. Based on how she's characterized, Rin might handle it a tad better than the others, but it would still be pretty harrowing for everyone involved.
Comrade wrote:infinite options does not mean all options, just like that between every two numbers there are infinite numbers, but not all.

If I see that sentence anywhere I am going to send your head to your mother with a replacment order
Potato

Post by Potato »

d2r wrote:
Potato wrote:
More or less. Based on how she's characterized, Rin might handle it a tad better than the others, but it would still be pretty harrowing for everyone involved.
Possibly. On the other hand, "our lives are in control of some far-off entity" is a fair summary of numerous religions and those people seem content enough for the most part. :lol: Or they'll just decide the players are fate incarnate which would be awesome.

Though if they could peek into these other realities, it stands to reason they could alter them. Act One Hisao peeks into Shizune's route then decides to play matchmaker with Misha instead of bothering with Shizune. Takes the manly picnic route, refuses the whiskey to keep his death-avoiding senses sharp, then goes on to frolic with Hanako afterward anyway.
d2r

Post by d2r »

Potato wrote:Possibly. On the other hand, "our lives are in control of some far-off entity" is a fair summary of numerous religions and those people seem content enough for the most part. :lol: Or they'll just decide the players are fate incarnate which would be awesome.

Though if they could peek into these other realities, it stands to reason they could alter them. Act One Hisao peeks into Shizune's route then decides to play matchmaker with Misha instead of bothering with Shizune. Takes the manly picnic route, refuses the whiskey to keep his death-avoiding senses sharp, then goes on to frolic with Hanako afterward anyway.
Perhaps with time you might learn to live with it - the psychologically-reassuring answer being that knowing they're in a game is not part of the game, implying free will - but the first reaction would probably be depression and horror. Especially a character like Hanako - consider that knowing that her most intimate and private moments with Hisao had been watched by thousands of people would probably cause an instant nervous breakdown.

Act One Hisao would probably end badly too, since it'd confirm the depressive idea that he's lost control of his life.

brythain

Post by brythain »

d2r wrote:
Potato wrote:Possibly. On the other hand, "our lives are in control of some far-off entity" is a fair summary of numerous religions and those people seem content enough for the most part. :lol: Or they'll just decide the players are fate incarnate which would be awesome.

Perhaps with time you might learn to live with it - the psychologically-reassuring answer being that knowing they're in a game is not part of the game, implying free will - but the first reaction would probably be depression and horror. Especially a character like Hanako - consider that knowing that her most intimate and private moments with Hisao had been watched by thousands of people would probably cause an instant nervous breakdown.

Act One Hisao would probably end badly too, since it'd confirm the depressive idea that he's lost control of his life.
Maybe it would be a bit like writing KS fanfic. Occasionally someone like Emi will come up to you and ask for minor concessions as to how you're writing up something that she knows is going to happen anyway. And then maybe it doesn't happen, to everybody's surprise. See this post for an example...
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
Potato

Post by Potato »

d2r wrote:

Even worse, the knowledge that all of her pain and history was due to some jerk writers...But then she'd look into the better parts and see Hisao and Lilly and her all happy, so she'd probably get better.

And technically, it would actually confirm that he never had any control in the first place...Which could be depressing or reassuring, depending on how one takes the news.
FelOnyx

Post by FelOnyx »

Potato wrote:
d2r wrote:

Even worse, the knowledge that all of her pain and history was due to some jerk writers...But then she'd look into the better parts and see Hisao and Lilly and her all happy, so she'd probably get better.

And technically, it would actually confirm that he never had any control in the first place...Which could be depressing or reassuring, depending on how one takes the news.
The problem for Hanako is that this might confirm her fears of things being better had she not been born, or in this case created. The only reason her parents died was as backstory for her, without her, it would have never happened.
AlexG wrote:For a moment there I thought Marx woke up as some kind of stripper in the middle ages
BlackGoldShooter wrote:This is what happens when children don't eat their vegetables. First they start manufacturing statuettes. Next they take over the world.