Hisao Nakai - Thoughts on our protagonist?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

someguy1294

Re: Hisao Nakai - Thoughts on our protagonist?

Post by someguy1294 »

Megumeru wrote: Can't say much except I think that he's your 'average guy'. Surprisingly very-very normal and to an extent, mature in his approach to some problems. He can get angry, get confused, laugh, joke, and isn't even afraid of stating his opinion on some matters--hell, he even hides things and has secrets of his own.
Pretty much. He rounded and complex, but not very vivid.
My OC, Kuki Kamikogo: http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9500

Favorite Katawa Girls, in Order from Best to Worst:
Rin, Hanako, Misha, Miki, Akira, Emi's Mom, Emi, Yuuko, Shizune, Iwanako, Lilly.

Lilly had a cell-phone. That is all.
Umber

Post by Umber »

Megumeru wrote: Can't say much except I think that he's your 'average guy'. Surprisingly very-very normal and to an extent, mature in his approach to some problems. He can get angry, get confused, laugh, joke, and isn't even afraid of stating his opinion on some matters--hell, he even hides things and has secrets of his own.

When you compare him to most other VN's male protagonist, Hisao's character is almost a lot more closer to heart than most.
I've noticed that some of all primary characters noted as 'mature' are just relatively ordinary people while understanding the events and emotions orbiting around them. Sort of like they watch and act on certain things at the same time, and are relatable in terms of their actions following those small extents of introversion. If I make sense; I could elaborate.

...Of course, this observation might just be going off the train-tracks in my mind, and I'm just reminiscing too much on Yu Narukami.

Hisao's a nice guy
-An occasional art thread.
pig dissections and cadaver examinations.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

I will say that in 4/5 universes, me and Hisao could probably be really good friends. A common appreciation of science plus the fact that he seems like a decent guy make for enough ground to stand on there.

In the other universe I might have to push him off the roof "accidentally".
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
someguy1294

Post by someguy1294 »

SpunkySix wrote:I will say that in 4/5 universes, me and Hisao could probably be really good friends. A common appreciation of science plus the fact that he seems like a decent guy make for enough ground to stand on there.

Which universe version of Hisao do you dislike?

Rin, Hanako, Misha, Miki, Akira, Emi's Mom, Emi, Yuuko, Shizune, Iwanako, Lilly.

Potato

Post by Potato »

someguy1294 wrote:
SpunkySix wrote:I will say that in 4/5 universes, me and Hisao could probably be really good friends. A common appreciation of science plus the fact that he seems like a decent guy make for enough ground to stand on there.

Shizune's.
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

someguy1294 wrote:

Let's just say that it wouldn't be the first time jealousy lead to an untimely fall. Shame too... he was just about to start up that new running program. Guess somebody'll need a replacement partner now. :twisted:
someguy1294

Post by someguy1294 »

Potato wrote:
someguy1294 wrote:

Shizune's.
Also known as 'Pussy Hisao'.

Potato

Post by Potato »

someguy1294 wrote:Also known as 'Pussy Hisao'.
If only. Then there'd be some lesbian action.

But yeah, he's pretty fucking lame, especially dealing with Jigoro. :lol:
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
brythain

Post by brythain »

Potato wrote:But yeah, he's pretty fucking lame, especially dealing with Jigoro. :lol:
I think that's a bit much. This Hisao actually repeatedly interrupts a katana-twirling joker who has obviously got a 30% weight advantage on him, mostly muscle. Not such a pussy. Come on, when Jigoro starts on about his autobiography, Hisao replies, "That doesn't seem old enough to justify writing a biography. I mean, that's not even old. Don't most people start writing their memoirs a lot later than that?"

Think about it. Heck, play through it first and you'll see Hisao manages to be assertive but polite, as befits a guest. Even if his host is an asshole in some ways.
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
someguy1294

Post by someguy1294 »

brythain wrote:
Potato wrote:But yeah, he's pretty fucking lame, especially dealing with Jigoro. :lol:
I think that's a bit much. This Hisao actually repeatedly interrupts a katana-twirling joker who has obviously got a 30% weight advantage on him, mostly muscle. Not such a pussy. Come on, when Jigoro starts on about his autobiography, Hisao replies, "That doesn't seem old enough to justify writing a biography. I mean, that's not even old. Don't most people start writing their memoirs a lot later than that?"

Think about it. Heck, play through it first and you'll see Hisao manages to be assertive but polite, as befits a guest. Even if his host is an asshole in some ways.
He does get quite a bit assertive later on in the ark... he's mostly just a limp-dick in Act 1. He really lets Shizune and Misha drag him around everywhere. Which happens a little in the Act 1 of ALL the routes, but seems more prominent in Shizune's Act 1.

SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

someguy1294 wrote:
brythain wrote:

He does get quite a bit assertive later on in the ark... he's mostly just a limp-dick in Act 1. He really lets Shizune and Misha drag him around everywhere. Which happens a little in the Act 1 of ALL the routes, but seems more prominent in Shizune's Act 1.
To be fair, he did just arrive at a brand new school after being bedridden and alone for quite some time, and there are two random technicolor-haired cuties asking him to do stuff. I think a fair number of people would be rather "limp" with their assertions at that point.
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

He's the same in other "festival endings", it's just that the other girls have less dragging-around tendencies.
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Hisao is not a leader regardless of his relationship. He's a peacekeeper and a helper, but he doesn't take charge unless he has to. He pretty much does what he's told.

In Hanako's and Rin's route he pretty much has to be the one to take the lead and ... well... he's not very good at it.

Emi's route she tries to treat him as more of an equal because she wants him to be independent (or rather she doesn't like people relying on others).

In Lilly and Shizune's route, two of the more outspoken leaders, he's perfectly content to sit back and let them take charge. In Lilly's route, she tries to get him to think about the future. Shizune on the other hand doesn't even have things figured out for herself. She just barrels right along and Hisao tags along with her.

Also, given the fact that there's only ONE choice in her route and the correct answer is "don't do anything" doesn't exactly help either.
Not Dead Yet
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Guest Poster wrote:He's the same in other "festival endings", it's just that the other girls have less dragging-around tendencies.
This is true. Even his decision to run is mostly "do what the crazy legless one says and you might not get attacked" rather than his own initiative. Only later does he take a real stand.
brythain

Post by brythain »

SpunkySix wrote:
Guest Poster wrote:He's the same in other "festival endings", it's just that the other girls have less dragging-around tendencies.
This is true. Even his decision to run is mostly "do what the crazy legless one says and you might not get attacked" rather than his own initiative. Only later does he take a real stand.
I think that's the point in all routes. He is unsure of himself and what his remaining capacities and capabilities are. As he learns more about himself from those around him, he develops more character. That's why he can banter with Jigoro even though it doesn't seem like a good idea, and that's why he gets more forceful later. Remember, he's a relative stranger to Yamaku, parachuted in during graduating year, amongst people who have known each other far longer and have a shared history.
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)