Which ending(s) do you consider the worst?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Which ending(s) do you consider the worst?

Emi bad ending
16%
Hanako bad ending
11%
Lilly bad ending
4%
Rin 1st bad ending (Fight End)
7%
Rin 2nd bad ending (Rain End)
25%
Shizune bad ending
16%
Kenji
17%
Other
4%

Total votes: 105

SpunkySix

Re: Which ending(s) do you consider the worst?

Post by SpunkySix »

Guest Poster wrote:Why do you need to be super secure in your straightness in order to troll your protegee's new friend who seems prone to taking your baiting attempts hook, line and sinker?
Just because he makes so many faux gay jokes. Straight people who are insecure tend to not do that because they aren't confident enough in their own sexuality to even joke about it.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
Potato

Post by Potato »

SpunkySix wrote:
Guest Poster wrote:Why do you need to be super secure in your straightness in order to troll your protegee's new friend who seems prone to taking your baiting attempts hook, line and sinker?
Just because he makes so many faux gay jokes. Straight people who are insecure tend to not do that because they aren't confident enough in their own sexuality to even joke about it.
Where are your statistics?
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

You don't need to be super confident in your own sexuality to make gay jokes towards an easy target. All you need to be is moderately confident and not too icky about homosexuality in general.

I didn't see Nurse's jokes as a sign of either out-of-the-ordinary confidence or homosexuality. He was just having a bit of fun with Hisao.
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.
bhtooefr

Post by bhtooefr »

Besides, there's an implication that he's dating (or maybe just having casual sex with) Meiko.
bhtooefr's one-shot and drabble thread
Enjoy The Silence - Sequel to All I Have (complete)
Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking zombies on this motherfucking forum!
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Atario wrote:
monkeywitha6pack wrote:I don't know where people get the suicide thing from
I've never been sure of this either. Is it just Sae's husband, and people assume that's supposed to be a foregone parallel with Rin?
I don't see what else it could be, but if every brilliant artist were eventually headed towards suicide worldwide suicide rates would skyrocket. If that is a "heavy implication" for some...

And I can attest to straight males being very much able to making gay jokes like that.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Potato wrote:
SpunkySix wrote:
Where are your statistics?
Do I need them to see a general trend?

And yeah, maybe the word super was too much. My general point is still in play, though.
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

someguy1294 wrote:He jokes about seducing Hisao. Repeatedly. That... that is not something that heterosexual males do.

They might as well have dressed him in a pink sweater with khaki shorts and had him voiced by Richard Simmons.

All he's really missing is a 'Turn your head and cough' joke.
You obviously didn't/don't have many male friends in High School.
If a guy can't act gay to troll his friends, there's an issue.

Also:
That is literally all Nurse is doing.
He's fucking with Hisao, who keeps taking the bait.
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
Loonie

Post by Loonie »

Mirage_GSM wrote:
Atario wrote:
monkeywitha6pack wrote:I don't know where people get the suicide thing from
I've never been sure of this either. Is it just Sae's husband, and people assume that's supposed to be a foregone parallel with Rin?
I don't see what else it could be, but if every brilliant artist were eventually headed towards suicide worldwide suicide rates would skyrocket. If that is a "heavy implication" for some...
I'm sure a lot of people are taking it that way and voting it such purely based on that parallel. Of course real life doesn't work like that. Most artists in the throes of despair or 'underwater', as the path puts it, don't have the courage to off themselves like that decisively and after all - why would an artist just do it quick when they can get shitfaced drunk/high instead, wreck relationships, ruin their own lives some more and use that as a BS excuse that they're doing it 'for the art''? People still seem to think (excluding the fact that a great deal of technical skill is required to begin with, regardless of the artist's fuel/emotions) the only way for an artist to come up with 'brilliant' art is through suffering. And while it certainly is a way...there's a lot healthier ways that are just never really emphasized enough I think.

No...the reason why I, at least, voted it as such is not just because of Rin...it's also Hisao, after everything he's gone through in that path, going right back to cynicsville and utterly failing to get across to Rin and to himself the thing that is said in the good ending. That you don't have to feel alone, even if no one in the world will ever truly understand you. And it's not 'using other people' either - it's just living life with someone else rather than alone.

Though based on the initial loaded definitions, sure...Kenji's end is the worst really - after all, it is death we're talking about there and there is no fate worse than death by that definition alone. Regardless of how wonderfully ridiculous it is portrayed and of the fact that this is still fiction we're talking about as opposed to real life.
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

Potato wrote:I dunno what qualifies as "loads" to you but I've never known anyone who cut off all contact with people to work themselves to sleep deprivation and the beginnings of starvation sealed up in a tiny room.
Sounds like the December prior to releasing KS to me. :(
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

Atario

Post by Atario »

Loonie wrote:Hisao, after everything he's gone through in that path, going right back to cynicsville and utterly failing to get across to Rin and to himself the thing that is said in the good ending. That you don't have to feel alone, even if no one in the world will ever truly understand you. And it's not 'using other people' either - it's just living life with someone else rather than alone.
Gotta agree here. Hisao really said the worst possible things in that conversation. No one can ever truly understand or empathize with anyone else? We're all alone in the universe and just use one another to feel better about that? Fuck, man, I feel like going to get a drink with Kenji and throwing myself off the roof after that.
NB: none of the above is a request

Mutou Gets Fired — a little one-shot fanfic I wrote
Potato

Post by Potato »

Silentcook wrote:
Potato wrote:I dunno what qualifies as "loads" to you but I've never known anyone who cut off all contact with people to work themselves to sleep deprivation and the beginnings of starvation sealed up in a tiny room.
Sounds like the December prior to releasing KS to me. :(
Aw man, I made Cook sad...Worst ending, right here. :cry:

Anyway, worst ending kinda depends on perspective...Kenji's is the worst for Hisao, but I doubt any player would deem it as such.

For Hanako, worst ending is neutral. For (Rin, Lilly, Shizune, Emi), worst ending is bad.

For the players, worst ending is obviously Shizune's good ending because you don't get to plow Misha.

@Mirage: Nobody said anything about every artist. But when a character unnecessarily goes into this drawn-out tale of this guy who just happens to be a perfect mirror (albeit without Rin's personal issues, which only makes Rin's situation even worse than his) of a character currently in crisis...Yeah, that's basically everything short of placing the two characters onscreen and drawing a line between them. Fan canon can be argued until time halts but the implication is undeniably present. :lol: At worst, at least one of Rin's endings is suggested will lead to self-termination. At best, it's all a very pointless parallel written in for no apparent reason.

@Atario: Hisao's depressive rambling is true if one takes understanding to be an 'all or nothing' deal. The subjective nature of human experience prevents a total understanding of anyone save yourself in that case, and even partial understanding will often be imperfect at best. Fortunately few people, if anybody, really sees things that way.
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
someguy1294

Post by someguy1294 »

[quote="Potato"]
Anyway, worst ending kinda depends on perspective...Kenji's is the worst for Hisao, but I doubt any player would deem it as such.

For Hanako, worst ending is neutral. For (Rin, Lilly, Shizune, Emi), worst ending is bad.

For the players, worst ending is obviously Shizune's good ending because you don't get to plow Misha.

I'm fully aware that screwing Misha leads to Shizune's bad end, and I'm gonna do it anyways, once I play through her route.

Also, I absolutely deem Kenji's ending the worst, by far. Break-ups are bad, but this is friggin' High School, and life moves on. Unless, of course you fall of a roof and fucking die. In every bad ending except Kenji's, all the characters have the potential to heal, grow up and move one later on in life, no matter how dismal the ending feels to the player. THAT is why Kenji's route is the worst. Hisao had his whole life ahead of him. All that potential, down the crapper because he got depressed over not getting a girl and got drunk. Utterly dismal.

I do like your point that perspective affects which ending is worst. Rin's good ending, for example, is the worst ending for Nomiya. Not that anyone actually gives a shit about that fat bastard.

When you say Rin's worst ending, are you referring to the Fight or the Rain?
My OC, Kuki Kamikogo: http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9500

Favorite Katawa Girls, in Order from Best to Worst:
Rin, Hanako, Misha, Miki, Akira, Emi's Mom, Emi, Yuuko, Shizune, Iwanako, Lilly.

Lilly had a cell-phone. That is all.
Potato

Post by Potato »

someguy1294 wrote:When you say Rin's worst ending, are you referring to the Fight or the Rain?
Fight. Also, Kenji's end is worst for Mutou. Who knows when another student who cares about science will come along...
someguy1294

Post by someguy1294 »

Potato wrote:
someguy1294 wrote:When you say Rin's worst ending, are you referring to the Fight or the Rain?
Fight. Also, Kenji's end is worst for Mutou. Who knows when another student who cares about science will come along...
Fight ending is probably worst for the characters, though Rain is still more gut-wrenching.
My OC, Kuki Kamikogo: http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9500

Favorite Katawa Girls, in Order from Best to Worst:
Rin, Hanako, Misha, Miki, Akira, Emi's Mom, Emi, Yuuko, Shizune, Iwanako, Lilly.

Lilly had a cell-phone. That is all.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Now that I'm thinking about it, the manly picnic is probably one of the most depressing things I've seen in a somewhat realistic VN. Hisao, after losing the girl he cares about and spending a ton of time slowly watching the people he thought cared about him disappear until he was isolated and almost immobile in a hospital bed, gets a chance to start anew but fails to form any meaningful relationships, gets drunk and then dies with the one person he pretty much can't stand on a day meant to celebrate togetherness.

Yeesh... at least in the other endings he made an initial connection.