Stranded on a deserted island. Who do you want with you?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Who do you want with you if you are stranded on a deserted island?

Akira
14%
Emi
10%
Hanako
19%
Kenji
5%
Lilly
10%
Miki
4%
Misha
4%
Nurse
9%
Mutou
4%
Rin
8%
Shizune
9%
Yuuko
2%
Someone else
2%
No one else
1%

Total votes: 167

SpunkySix

Re: Stranded on a deserted island. Who do you want with you

Post by SpunkySix »

Kibaro wrote:
Potato wrote:
I'm not sure that's necessarily how that works...

Either way, just don't fuck on the island.
well tell that to spunky when emi suggests something:)) or he does :P
I mean we haven't even formed a base relationship yet, so it's not like it's an inevitability at this point. I'd be just as cool with making sand castles or running on the beach too.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
Potato

Post by Potato »

SpunkySix wrote:making sand castles
I wanna make sand castles with Rin...Fuck getting rescued. :lol:
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
Kibaro

Post by Kibaro »

Potato wrote:
idk how you look, but rin making sand castles is a cute image :3
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Kibaro wrote:
Potato wrote:
idk how you look, but rin making sand castles is a cute image :3
I wanna join in now, that sounds like fun.
Potato

Post by Potato »

SpunkySix wrote:I wanna join in now, that sounds like fun.
At least until you run into Gilligan and his pals, finally driven mad and out for cute cripple blood...
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Potato wrote:
SpunkySix wrote:I wanna join in now, that sounds like fun.
At least until you run into Gilligan and his pals, finally driven mad and out for cute cripple blood...
Rin kicks bears for fun.

BEARS.

We'll be fine.
Zarys

Post by Zarys »

Hanako, Why ?

1)Always nice to be with your favorite girl.

2)She is one of the girls who isn't disadvantaged for a survival situation: I'm sure the others can be useful but...even if the premise is that we are not really in trouble; Lilly would be completely paralyzed by his blindness, Emi's prostheses may become damaged /not be usable in the sand and jungle, Shizune's deafness can be dangerous for herself, Rin can not really help in the construction and can still be dangerous for her in a survival situation despite her agility.
No serious reasons to judge Misha more capable than Hanako and it's the same for the others : the fact that Akira is cool don't makes her more suitable for survive, Kenji is not a good choice because of his legal blindness and he don't seems to have real useful skills, Jigoro looks sporty (that does not necessarily mean much) but is not the most willing to help, I don't see why Yuuko would be more likely to be useful than Hanako, the same with Mutou and medical knowledge of the Nurse is not very useful without medical equipment. (if you get malaria, he don't will magically curate you)
The benefit of Miki's sportiness don't worth her disability, and there is no proof that she has survival skills.

3)I don't agree with the assumption that Hanako could not psychologically endure the accident : The Hanako Route proves she lived terribles things, can endure pains, and that she does not suddenly go mad or something; Actually I am more confident in her than in the girls who have always had their disability (Lilly Rin, Shizune)
because they do not seem to have experienced something like that. (For Emi, her accident is enough in itself; Hisao could be a good choice for this if there was not his heart disease combined with the absence of his medication)
Of course inexperience does not mean that these three girls necessarily would breakdown, but it is no more improbable than Hanako.
Thus, assume either is a pure assumption but I am inclined to the Hanako's mental resilience theory. There is nothing to judge the mental resilience of secondary characters : except perhaps Kenji and Jigoro whose their behavior (Both have too many unresolved emotional problems,
where Hanako is internally very solid) seem more unfavorable. (Yuuko is stressed for nothing but it's no major, the same with the little apathy of Mutou.)

4)Her kindness would be the best motivation to stay alive, not really the easiest relationship but the most stimulating and comforting. (The danger would be the white-knighthing, which could oppress her if she finds herself alone with a white knight but the situation could also provide an opportunity to really understand her, or sadly enhance the appearance of a "damsel in distress" :| even for her own gaze : i don't think it's possible to override this barrier if herself don't believe it's possible or if she don't wants it happens; she is no so passive in the hisao-hanako dynamic)
And she surely find good games to don't get bored. :mrgreen: (a deserted island is soooooo boring, I would don't be unhappy to play tiles game beach edition, or find shells to play chess with her; talk about books we have read,ect...)
Overall, I think it is very nice to spend time with her even with nothing. (to a lesser extent also Lilly, drinking tea is not exciting but the presence of these two girls is simply nice)
I don't think I would get on with Shizune, Emi, Rin, Misha or the others as well as with Hanako.
Last edited by Zarys on Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
"With my eternal life, I will see the world through to its end. Until everyone who won't like me is gone."
— Porky Minch

"Can you face your fears ?"
— Hanako

I speak from the noise
Souls and shapes, forever twisted
the lost voices of the damned
lure the bringer of despair
Potato

Post by Potato »

Zarys wrote:Hanako, Why ?

Her kindness would be the best motivation to stay alive
Let's see how well her kindness does you when you're dirty, starving, possibly dealing with wildlife...Also, she has not been shown capable of enduring pains. She has been shown capable of coping with them in the worst ways possible. Becoming a hair-trigger-skittish paranoid reclusive misanthrope is not enduring anything. It's being damaged and broken down by it. It's coping with it, in the same way curling up on the beach and sobbing while in your mental happy place is coping with being stranded on a deserted island. :P

And Hanako is disadvantaged in a survival situation by the very fact of having no particular skills or benefits applicable to one.

Lilly would not be paralyzed by his blindness because A) Lilly is a girl and B) Blindness is not paralysis. Yes, it's a new environment. So was everywhere else she has ever been at first, and she got along fine. Plus Lilly is well-known to keep a calm disposition no matter the burden, helpful in a survival situation. She could also make tea if any plants on the island are suitable. Hydration, how useless, right?

Emi is athletic, and thus useful for possible hunting or trekking through heavy-foliage areas for fruit and such. There's no reason to think her prosthetics would suddenly be useless. Friction doesn't cease to be in sand or jungles. She is also very much an active, progress-oriented person. Also useful.

Shizune's deafness would only be a danger if she went off alone. Otherwise, she's a very no-nonsense goal-oriented type useful for such a scenario in all kinds of ways.

Kenji's vast paranoia could equate to great shelter and protection, if nothing else.

Jigoro is, frankly, ripped and has a sword. There is no reason to think he wouldn't help. He's a jerk but he is also a human being able to recognize "Fuck, we're stranded, we might die."

Scientific and medical knowledge are infinitely useful, potentially making Mutou and Nurse highly useful assets. Not even God's palm would be quite big enough for the facepalm you deserve for disregarding two of the most useful fields in all of human knowledge. No equipment? Plenty of medicine comes from plants and shit. And science isn't all about metal and laboratories anyway. (And obviously he won't curate you. He is not a curator. :P)

Miki's "disability" is that she is missing just one hand. That's so fucking miniscule I want to slap you for even bringing it up. And really, "there is no proof that she has survival skills"? That's true, granted, but allow me to offer a counterpoint...

There is no proof that Hanako has survival skills. Almost every person you listed except Hanako has some known potential in a stranded scenario.

If you'd go with Hanako because of her kindness and because she's cute, great. But just say that. :lol:
Last edited by Potato on Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brythain

Post by brythain »

Potato wrote:There is no proof that Hanako has survival skills. Almost every person you listed except Hanako has some known potential in a stranded scenario.

If you'd go with Hanako because of her kindness and because she's cute, great. But just say that. :lol:
You've left out one very important potential possibility. She has read a book about being marooned on a boat with a man-eating but possibly (plausibly? probably?) imaginary tiger. That should count for something… :D
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
Potato

Post by Potato »

brythain wrote:
Potato wrote:There is no proof that Hanako has survival skills. Almost every person you listed except Hanako has some known potential in a stranded scenario.

You've left out one very important potential possibility. She has read a book about being marooned on a boat with a man-eating but possibly (plausibly? probably?) imaginary tiger. That should count for something… :D
Touche. :P But a boat isn't an island potentially populated with non-imaginary wildlife. :P And this assuming that book detailed survival methods, and stress (unlike Lilly, Hanako's disposition is less than serene even on an average day...) doesn't block it from her mind.

It's something, I guess. XD
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

I wonder if having metal legs makes climbing trees easier.
bhtooefr

Post by bhtooefr »

Plane crash means that there's likely a fire, which may be a trigger for Hanako, in the negative column. In the positive column, she likely has a lot of random knowledge that may be handy due to her reading. Her coping strategies for psychological abuse aren't exactly relevant to coping strategies in a disaster situation, and she has a gift for forcing herself through her anxieties if there's someone else in need of her assistance (because she's a white knight herself - and for the same reasons as most white knights, wanting to distract from her own issues and make people think she's useful).

And, as far as Lilly, she maintains a completely calm disposition under very high stress, yes. Under extreme stress (especially when she loses control of a situation), however, the mask slips and she completely loses her shit, to the point that she's useless until she can calm down, and even a panicking Hanako can be more useful (due to switching into white knight mode). Basically, even Hanako handles extreme stress better than Lilly does. And, yes, her blindness doesn't paralyze her, but it does mean that she's at a distinct disadvantage in a dangerous, unfamiliar environment, requiring the other person to do more to compensate.

Emi would struggle emotionally (and may well snap and split the party), and she would be at high risk of being a burden if something happened with her prosthetics (especially if she pushed too hard). Plus, vehicle crashes are kinda a sore point for her, and she may be reduced to the crying wreck that you describe Hanako as. Plus, if we're talking about it being a plane crash on the way to a conference for disabled students, it's quite possible that Meiko was traveling with her, and died in the crash. Emi would not take that well.

I still say Akira's the best bet, though, but Nurse is an excellent option.
bhtooefr's one-shot and drabble thread
Enjoy The Silence - Sequel to All I Have (complete)
Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking zombies on this motherfucking forum!
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

bhtooefr wrote:Plus, vehicle crashes are kinda a sore point for her, and she may be reduced to the crying wreck that you describe Hanako as. Plus, if we're talking about it being a plane crash on the way to a conference for disabled students, it's quite possible that Meiko was traveling with her, and died in the crash. Emi would not take that well.
Wait, so in this situation, would we knowingly be the cause of them ending up on this island? Because I don't want that on my conscious. I think it'd kill me.
Atario

Post by Atario »

Potato wrote:[Lots of words]
Man, someone's on a tear!
she has not been shown capable of enduring pains
Well, there was one very notable searing pain she endured…
no particular skills or benefits applicable to one.
Hiding is a skill! Just ask John Cleese How Not To Be Seen.
She could also make tea if any plants on the island are suitable. Hydration, how useless, right?
Can't tell if serious anymore…
There's no reason to think her prosthetics would suddenly be useless.
They need maintenance and eventually replacement. If we're talking about an extended marooning, it could be a problem.
he won't curate you. He is not a curator. :P
I would just like to gently point out that Zarys is probably a nonnative speaker of English. You can choose to do with that knowledge what you like.
Miki's "disability" is that she is missing just one hand. That's so fucking miniscule I want to slap you for even bringing it up.
Mmmmmmmm. You think so? I once lost most of the use of one hand for a few weeks. It was surprisingly detrimental, and I wasn't even stranded on a desert island.
bhtooefr wrote:it's quite possible that Meiko was traveling with her, and died in the crash. Emi would not take that well.
Welp. I was feeling lighthearted… :cry:
I still say Akira's the best bet, though, but Nurse is an excellent option.
Good point, even if only for age/experience reasons. Mutou as well. Hell, Meiko herself might be surprisingly useful.
NB: none of the above is a request

Mutou Gets Fired — a little one-shot fanfic I wrote
TK8305

Post by TK8305 »

I would want Hanako with me. Hell I would do everything I could to provide for the both of us. I love her THAT much! <3
My YouTube | My Twitter[/font][/size]<p>Currently LPing: Pokemon Diamond (NDS) / Link's Birthday DX (ZC)