The Mystery of Tanabata

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Oddball

The Mystery of Tanabata

Post by Oddball »

While the exact day of celebration varies a bit from place to place, but is usually celebrated in July or August.

Hisao transfers to Yamaku ... um... sometime January or Febuary wasn't it? I forget exactly. I'm not sure if it even said. Regardless, it was his last year of Highschool, as most places in Japan graduate in March.

Now likely because of this, Tanabata isn't mentioned much during the game. The last one was long before Hisao got there and the next would be ater he graduates. Still, he does mention taking Lilly back to see the next one.

Then there's Shizune. Apparently in hr route, the festival happens after Hisao gets there. So, how does that work? Did she somehow sense Hisao liked her and manage to use her Student Council powers to get an extremely early festival scheduled or what?
Not Dead Yet
Aura
>has heterochromia

Re: The Mystery of Tanabata

Post by Aura »

You are REALLY confused here. Hisao's first day at Yamaku is in June (remember all that green in the backgrounds, no snow and half the cast whining about the summer heat?). Tanabata is celebrated in July-August. Mystery solved.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Aura wrote:You are REALLY confused here. Hisao's first day at Yamaku is in June (remember all that green in the backgrounds, no snow and half the cast whining about the summer heat?). Tanabata is celebrated in July-August. Mystery solved.
Hmmm. For some reason I got the feeling tat he was getting there towards the end of the school year. My mistake then.

Okay. that does make more sense.
Not Dead Yet
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Fun fact: At least here in Kyoto, Tanabata is today (Jul 7th).
Seems to be the same day every year, too.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Doomish

Post by Doomish »

Oddball wrote: Hisao transfers to Yamaku ... um... sometime January or Febuary wasn't it? I forget exactly. I'm not sure if it even said. Regardless, it was his last year of Highschool, as most places in Japan graduate in March.
You're not accounting for the four or so months he spent in the hospital. He has his heart attack in the late winter but it takes a while before he goes back to school. Tanabata mostly goes unmentioned outside of Shizune's route because none of the other paths get that far into the school year before they end.
demonix

Post by demonix »

Mirage_GSM wrote:Fun fact: At least here in Kyoto, Tanabata is today (Jul 7th).
Some areas still see Tanabata falling on July 7, but that is based on the Japanese lunisolar calendar which is about a month behind the Gregorian calendar, so certain regions in Japan the date of Tanabata varies from region to region which means that some festivals are held on July 7 (as mirage has stated) and some are held on a few days around August 7.

In the game when Hisao mentions to Lilly about missing Tanabata it most likely means that the local area has their festival around the August 7 date (if they didn't, then the festival would've been before Hanako's birthday).
Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

demonix wrote:
Mirage_GSM wrote:Fun fact: At least here in Kyoto, Tanabata is today (Jul 7th).
Some areas still see Tanabata falling on July 7, but that is based on the Japanese lunisolar calendar which is about a month behind the Gregorian calendar, so certain regions in Japan the date of Tanabata varies from region to region which means that some festivals are held on July 7 (as mirage has stated) and some are held on a few days around August 7.

In the game when Hisao mentions to Lilly about missing Tanabata it most likely means that the local area has their festival around the August 7 date (if they didn't, then the festival would've been before Hanako's birthday).
Yeah this makes sense. I'm planning to use Tanabata in my fic, and I was trying to figure out about when it's supposed to fall so it remains consistent.

Around August 7th sounds about right. Is the date adjusted by the day of the week? Like how they move Memorial Day to a Monday, and Thanksgiving (US) is on the third Thursday?

I also assume the 3-day-break falls sometime shortly after that, since Lilly comes back from Scotland just in time. Probably around the middle of August, by my reckoning.
demonix

Post by demonix »

Helbereth wrote:
demonix wrote:Some areas still see Tanabata falling on July 7, but that is based on the Japanese lunisolar calendar which is about a month behind the Gregorian calendar, so certain regions in Japan the date of Tanabata varies from region to region which means that some festivals are held on July 7 (as mirage has stated) and some are held on a few days around August 7.

Yeah this makes sense. I'm planning to use Tanabata in my fic, and I was trying to figure out about when it's supposed to fall so it remains consistent.

Around August 7th sounds about right. Is the date adjusted by the day of the week? Like how they move Memorial Day to a Monday, and Thanksgiving (US) is on the third Thursday?

I also assume the 3-day-break falls sometime shortly after that, since Lilly comes back from Scotland just in time. Probably around the middle of August, by my reckoning.
The 3 day break is about two or so weeks after Hanako's birthday since most of August would be for summer break and Lilly leaves for Scotland just before summer break and the first part of Shizune's act 3 starts at the beginning of summer break.