Which character did you get most attached to and why

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Kochi

Re: Which character did you get most attached to and why

Post by Kochi »

I think in my case that would be Hanako. I was the bullied kid back in Elementary and Middle School, and I always was kind of a recluse. Hell, I'm in university now, and I'm still as weird and 'lone wolf-ish' as I was back when I first entered school. The only exception being I now have a very close group of (three plus two that show up every now and then) friends... Who are just as weird as I am. I still wonder how the hell did I end up befriending a Finnish conscript, though.

In fact, this may sound bad, but I learnt better ways to seclude myself thanks to her. Pity my uni's library is so full of people I can't really chill and read in peace. Damned intellectuals :lol: .

Still, my 'attachment' to Hanako breaks loose when one looks at our ways of approaching social situations. While Hanako sees running away as a viable means of escape, avoiding people and keeping her mouth shut, I adopt an "armed neutrality" stance. I just don't bother trying to make friends any more, making people give up on me after a month or so. It's comforting, in a way, knowing nobody cares about me. The only times in which I not only get actively social, but completely become an extrovert, is when I have power over others. When I'm above the rest, for one reason or another, be it me being the leader of a work group, a gaming team/clan or just the guy that takes all the decisions.

... I like bossing people around :mrgreen:
Atario

Post by Atario »

Kochi wrote:The only times in which I not only get actively social, but completely become an extrovert, is when I have power over others. When I'm above the rest, for one reason or another, be it me being the leader of a work group, a gaming team/clan or just the guy that takes all the decisions.

... I like bossing people around :mrgreen:
Dude. You're a wolf Shizune in sheep's Hanako's clothing.
NB: none of the above is a request

Mutou Gets Fired — a little one-shot fanfic I wrote
BMFJack

Post by BMFJack »

Atario wrote:This seems very weird. You yourself are somewhat like her, your best friend is somewhat like her, and for those reasons, you can't connect?
I got over being shy when I was in my early teens, and my best friend's social anxiety disorder is almost the thing I hate the most about him - but I usually hang out with him alone so it's rarely a big deal.

I was like her. Then I grew a pair and got over it.

The part I said about her endings being bad though, we all know how bad the bad ending is, but even the "good" ending doesn't have the same feels-y quality that good endings are supposed to have, it basically felt like we got to the middle of the story and then just stopped. Hanako never says that she loves Hisao, only that she 'let' him do those things so that she wouldn't feel like a useless person to him. It gave me the impression that she doesn't love Hisao, she's just so terrified of losing him as a friend that she'd do anything to stop that from happening. Then her story doesn't even continue to the point where Lilly leaves for Scotland, which is bound to be a Big Thing for Hanako.
Atario

Post by Atario »

BMFJack wrote:I was like her. Then I grew a pair and got over it.
Sounds like a bizarre complete lack of empathy.
the "good" ending doesn't have the same feels-y quality that good endings are supposed to have
Not feelsy? Anyone who didn't weep like a baby at that breakdown-in-the-park scene may not have a soul…
it basically felt like we got to the middle of the story and then just stopped.
It was the start of her "getting over it". The rest is taken as read. I'd think you'd approve.
Hanako never says that she loves Hisao
That kiss said it all and more.

BMFJack

Post by BMFJack »

Atario wrote:Sounds like a bizarre complete lack of empathy.
Indeed, I find it hard to understand how someone can be crippled by something I overcome on a daily basis. We all have to do things we don't like or don't want to do.
Atario wrote:Not feelsy? Anyone who didn't weep like a baby at that breakdown-in-the-park scene may not have a soul…
Guess I'm short a soul, then.
Atario wrote:It was the start of her "getting over it".
'It was the start' at the end of the story. Almost all of the good parts of the story between Hanako and Hisao occur off screen. With the exception of the final scene or two, they remain friends for her entire route, only starting their relationship in the very last scene

I should have expected the Hanabros to come out of the woodworks to eat my face off for not proclaiming an undying love for Hanako =p
brythain

Post by brythain »

BMFJack wrote:I should have expected the Hanabros to come out of the woodworks to eat my face off for not proclaiming an undying love for Hanako =p
Your mistake was in going off-topic: you answered the question about which character you DIDN'T get most attached to. Tsk.
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
Atario

Post by Atario »

BMFJack wrote:I find it hard to understand how someone can be crippled by something I overcome on a daily basis.
I would think you could understand fine, being that you experienced it yourself.
'It was the start' at the end of the story. Almost all of the good parts of the story between Hanako and Hisao occur off screen. With the exception of the final scene or two, they remain friends for her entire route, only starting their relationship in the very last scene
I would have liked to see some relationship time too, but once the conflict is resolved, you're finished except for the wrap-up. Getting to the point where they could competently enter into a relationship was the conflict.
I should have expected the Hanabros to come out of the woodworks to eat my face off for not proclaiming an undying love for Hanako =p
You don't know how close you came with this Hanabro. :mrgreen:

BMFJack

Post by BMFJack »

brythain wrote:you answered the question about which character you DIDN'T get most attached to. Tsk.
Hm, yes, quite so. Indeed, even.

I don't have any problems with Hanako as a person (I dig the smart chicks) but her route is just 'meh'

Then again, I'm not sure I know of very many people whose favorite route and character is Lilly, whom also love Hanako...

I'll admit though, I replayed Hanako's route not too long ago and I enjoyed it a little more the second time around, probably because I didn't have high expectations.
Ibinsned

Post by Ibinsned »

Despite having social anxiety, I relate most to Lilly. I think that unlike Hanako, who I CAN relate to (although I would have related more in the past) Lilly is more of the character that I want to be. Perhaps I could relate to Hanako more, but I want to see myself as more of a Lilly.
GreatPlainsGuy

Post by GreatPlainsGuy »

Like many here I connect with certain characters based on similarity in personality types (both similar to my own or would compliment my own, no doubt intentional by the creators). In no particular order, here are who I got attached to and why:

Hanako - Of course most of us relate to her, as do I. The social outcast, bullied growing up, shy, unable to make friends easily. Being an introvert (almost to the point of being a hikikomori) is something I can relate to on a deep level. I have social anxiety/generalized anxiety disorder so it is difficult for me to be out among people, though I'm happy to say that despite every day being a battle, I have forced myself to have quite a number of awesome memories with awesome friends. So naturally, her arc was the first one I went down because I was naturally drawn to her and wanted to help her. Help her because of how much I want/wanted someone to help me, but then soon realized she didn't want people treating her differently or like a frail doll just because of her outward appearance (which is also how I feel to some degree).

Emi - Related to her because she is the perfect compliment to my personality. An opposite if you will. She's everything I want to be. Popular, fit, energetic. Most introverts have a longing to be the center of attention even if they don't willingly seek it. She's someone I wanted to be with because of the type of person I become when I'm around people like that. She's someone who actually wants to see you do better and better yourself, all the while trying to keep others from knowing the personal battle being waged within (also something I relate to, being the person that enjoys making other people happy all the while hiding my own pain and battles within). Obviously, I'm out of shape and this actually inspired me to do something about my physical health (I lost 50 lbs before life happened and I had to quit for awhile).

Lilly - Let's not give Freud something to talk about, but truth be told her almost "motherly" attitude and concern is somewhat appealing to those who like to be taken care of. She's very strong willed, intelligent, beautiful, but mostly she is patient and kind. She has all the unflappable qualities most guys want and I am no different. I guess I also fell for her because she reminded me of another girl I somewhat went out with shortly after high school. All the same qualities of being strong, independent (two things which I was / am not), but also warm and caring.

Honestly, I really liked Shizune's arc a lot and it made me sad as well, but I don't really particularly remember what it was about her that I was most attracted to. I haven't done Rin's arc since I didn't really connect with her all that much to begin with, although perhaps at some point I will be willing to give it a try.
SordidEuphemism

Post by SordidEuphemism »

In many ways, Rin is Hisao's twin. Your reflection. While the other girls have a driving need that flows at the surface or just beneath it, Rin has a whirling vastness to her character that even she cannot fathom. And, unlike the other girls, she can’t express the problem, being submerged in its depths.

Which is the problem. You are both adrift, and neither of you can truly be the rock for the other to cling to.

Imagine two ships at sea, neither captained, neither anchored. Even when the sea is calm, the closer they get, the more danger both of them are in. When the sea is the tempestuous, roiling cauldron that is highschool, destruction is inevitable.

In order to win Rin’s heart - and keep it - you must be willing to face this impending doom. You must accept everything about yourself. All your character’s flaws, insecurities, and doubts must either be conquered or embraced. You must be the most ‘you’, for the sake of being ‘you’, before you can begin to understand Rin.

And that’s Rin’s path. Understanding. Not a storybook romance, not a battle won, not a decision made, not a pact forged, but an exhausting, heart-wrenching trial of understanding.

And, at the end of it all, I realized that by playing ‘Hisao’, I was also playing myself. We’re all insecure, we all battle our demons, and our doubts. By putting myself into that character, I was forced to embrace those truths as well.

Rin asks you a question at the end of her ‘good’ arc. I won’t spoil it here.

Answering it is a matter of academia, but again, that’s not the point. The point is, as with all things Rin, understanding. Can you understand the answer?
Charmant

Post by Charmant »

SordidEuphemism wrote:Can you understand the answer?
There was no answer, so no. Pretty sure that route ends with the only understanding being that they'll never understand each other.
SordidEuphemism

Post by SordidEuphemism »

Charmant wrote:
There was no answer, so no. Pretty sure that route ends with the only understanding being that they'll never understand each other.
She asks you, "What's the word for when it feels inside your heart that everything in the world is all right?"

What's your answer?

Is it the same as mine?

Does it matter?

At the end of the route, Rin understands herself. Hisao understands himself. And together, they understand their relationship, even if they might not understand each other. And that's okay. That's perfectly fine. That's love.
brythain

Post by brythain »

Charmant wrote:
Actually, my understanding of the route is that Hisao comes to the realisation that it doesn't matter, and perhaps mutual understanding is an illusion; the only understanding that matters is the acceptance of self:
"The carefree easiness of her gesture is a lovely thing, a sign of how Rin can, truly and really, without any restraints whatsoever, shed the entire weight of the world from her shoulders, should she will so."

"She is, in every possible and probably a few impossible ways… free."

"And I think I might love her for that."
And a short while later:
"Well, I suppose that is an important realization.
"Coming to terms with oneself, accepting yourself, being fine with what you are.
"A simple resolution of heart that for some people is overbearingly hard to do, if not impossible."

"I do realize well enough that I might also be one of those people.
"Rin too…
"Maybe we are not that different after all.
"Maybe to accept someone else, you must first accept yourself.
"Maybe that is a necessary step, which we didn't take until now."

"Looking at her standing on that rock, I believe that she can find whatever she is looking for...
"And so can I."
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
scorptatious

Post by scorptatious »

Hanako.

Yeah, I know. SO original right? :p

But yeah, she's just an endearing character. Beneath her initial demeanor lies a girl who's intelligent and sweet girl who enjoys reading and games. And I can relate to her quite a bit. she simply wants to be treated as an equal rather than a broken person that needs protection

Second place goes to Emi. I really enjoy her energetic personality and the banter she has with Hisao. Plus I can appreciate her drive and determination. She was the first girl I ended up with in KS, and she gave me a good taste of what KS has to offer.