You have been playing too much KS when...

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

TexasRanger

Re: You have been playing too much KS when...

Post by TexasRanger »

Oddball wrote:
TexasRanger wrote:
Grimm13 wrote:... after finishing your favorite route you tend to mull it over for days thinking of what you would do differently if you were the main character
More like thinking about how dumb the character is and the millions of way in which he could have not fucked it up as much as he did haha.
I have a feeling most of us wouldn't have done much better given the whole "recently disabled and moved to a new school after a long hospital stay when everyone abandoned him." Sure we might not have all made the same mistakes, but he handles himself remarkably well given the circumstances.

That and we have the advantage of looking at things from an outsiders point of view instead of just being there, so we can catch things he wouldn't have noticed.
Yeah, I get what your saying. But you can't deny that theres times when his obliviousness is un-freaking-believable. In Emi's route, for example, how did he not figure out that her dad was dead? Or in Hanako's route, why did he treat her like she's a little porcelain doll that will break if you touch her? Also the whole "white knight" thing. You can't even figure out your own life and you wanna figure out other people's lives and help em with all their problems?
"There are no constraints on the human mind, no walls around the human spirit, no barriers to our progress except those we ourselves erect." - Ronald Reagan
"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." - Thomas Jefferson
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Yeah, I get what your saying. But you can't deny that theres times when his obliviousness is un-freaking-believable. In Emi's route, for example, how did he not figure out that her dad was dead?
He says that he's pretty sure he knows in his inner monologue but doesn't want to come out and say it. Besides, what if he did say he was dead and was wrong? (personally, when playing, I was wondering if perhaps her dad might be braindead in a hospital or something.)
Or in Hanako's route, why did he treat her like she's a little porcelain doll that will break if you touch her?
She literally flinches when people look at her and runs away from conversations. Even around people like Lilly, Hisao, and Akira, she stammers badly, and acts likie she doesn't want to be an inconvenience to anyone.
Also the whole "white knight" thing.
I really wish people would stop using this term. Most of the time the people who use it don't even know what it means.
You can't even figure out your own life and you wanna figure out other people's lives and help em with all their problems?
Admittedly that is a character flaw, but at the same time, it works out for him time to time. Many of the people he interacts with DO need help. He just takes it too far from time to time. Also, judging by what he tells Lilly about his old friends, he was the one that stopped them from fighting and played peacekeeper even back then.

I will agree that he can be an idiot at times. I think my favorite example is Hisao actually believing Shizune's story about people dying for her tea.
Not Dead Yet
brythain

Post by brythain »

Oddball wrote:(personally, when playing, I was wondering if perhaps her dad might be braindead in a hospital or something.)
Actually, I too thought this. And then when it turned out otherwise, I felt a little silly. I'm glad that at least one other person thought the same way. :)
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
TexasRanger

Post by TexasRanger »

He says that he's pretty sure he knows in his inner monologue but doesn't want to come out and say it. Besides, what if he did say he was dead and was wrong? (personally, when playing, I was wondering if perhaps her dad might be braindead in a hospital or something.)
Actually, I don't really remember if he actually says in his inner monologues that he thinks her father is dead. Also, he could have said that to the nurse if he really believed it, and not act like a clueless moron all the time. Also if he figured it out on his own he wouldn't have been so forceful in his desire to know everything.
She literally flinches when people look at her and runs away from conversations. Even around people like Lilly, Hisao, and Akira, she stammers badly, and acts likie she doesn't want to be an inconvenience to anyone.
If you truly care about someone, you at least try to help em with their self-esteem problems, not make em worse. Just see how she ends up way better in Lilly's route than in her own. By treating people like that, you feed the kind of behaviour that lead to a secluded life with only one person in the whole world that has the duty to protect you, and I hopefully don't have to explain how fucked up that is. I just hate how some people act like they can protect their "loved" ones from all the evils of the world, which in fact implies that they are inferior to them, and it's all just an attempt to make em feel better by takin control of other people's lives while totally ignoring their own problems.
You can't even figure out your own life and you wanna figure out other people's lives and help em with all their problems?
Admittedly that is a character flaw, but at the same time, it works out for him time to time. Many of the people he interacts with DO need help. He just takes it too far from time to time. Also, judging by what he tells Lilly about his old friends, he was the one that stopped them from fighting and played peacekeeper even back then.

I will agree that he can be an idiot at times. I think my favorite example is Hisao actually believing Shizune's story about people dying for her tea.
Yes, I know that the people he interacts with DO need help, everyone does in one way or the other. My point is that during the VN I couldn't help but feel that he thought he was in some way superior to the people at Yamaku because he doesn't have a visible disability, and thinks everyone ABSOLUTELY need his help, in a "they couldn't possibly survive without me" kinda way. This is even mentioned when he follows Emi to the kitchen when he goes to her house, when she says something like "I don't need your help nearly as much as you believe I do, or else how do you think I survived all this years without you?". Her mom says something similar as well.
"There are no constraints on the human mind, no walls around the human spirit, no barriers to our progress except those we ourselves erect." - Ronald Reagan
"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." - Thomas Jefferson
brythain

Post by brythain »

... you inquire after Emi at the vet and the receptionist says, "Oh, Emi is in the office spending time with the nurse," and you get these mushy squishy feelings inside.

(Yeah, this is Emi the green-eyed cat who hangs out at the local vet clinic.)
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
Charmant

Post by Charmant »

TexasRanger wrote:This is even mentioned when he follows Emi to the kitchen when he goes to her house, when she says something like "I don't need your help nearly as much as you believe I do, or else how do you think I survived all this years without you?". Her mom says something similar as well.
The thing is, she only survives via defense mechanisms, escapism, and being distant and walled-off from everyone forever...And only actually starts living again with Hisao's help...So she actually did need his help all along. :lol:
Rhodri

Post by Rhodri »

When packing my trolley away in work yesterday, I heard something like a music box being played. Looking into the relative’s room opposite, it was a musical attachment playing to a sleeping baby in a pram.

"Man, sounds like Lilly's music box...if I ever have kids, that will SO be the lullaby I'm play to them as I ease them to sleep."
"She also ties you up to a chair. You're gonna like that. Chairs are good. Chairs are your friend."

BeeFhGhost, Jan 15th 2012.
Alpacalypse

Post by Alpacalypse »

When you finally get around to watching Attack on Titan and the first thing I think when watching ep 9 is "that Petra woman looks identical to Saki"

Yeah, I probably should have done that sooner :P
I am the harbinger of your destruction... By herbivorous, mountain dwelling quadrupeds... fear me
---
I also write now, apparently. Since everyone else does it, I'm putting it here
---
I have also discovered that I'm a decent proofreader. Anybody with SPaG problems is free to PM me their work for a thorough analysis and/or evisceration. Depends on how I'm feeling.
Oscar Wildecat

Post by Oscar Wildecat »

Speaking of anime and Saki, for fans of Eurobeatjester's Saki Pseudo-Route, I would recommend Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso (Your Lie in April)... It felt very Saki-ish, IMHO.
I like all the girls in KS, but empathize with Hanako the most.
"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." - Mark Twain
“Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they ask for directions.” - Winston Churchill
Checkout SordidEuphemism's Logo Thread.
Razoredge

Post by Razoredge »

When you can say "My ex bestfriend is really like Hanako"

I want her back....
Lilly = Akira > Miki = Hanako > Emi > Rin > Shizune

Stuff I'm currently writing : Beyond the haze : A Lilly Satou pseudo-route, Lullaby of an open heart : A Saki pseudo-route & Sakura Blossom : A way with Hisao
emmjay

Post by emmjay »

After seeing Kingsman: The Secret Service yesterday, I'm not sure if I've been playing KS too much or not enough. On the one hand, the character Gazelle, with her running blades (and I do mean blades), immediately reminded me of Emi. On the other hand, the Swedish Princess saying, "We can do it in the ass" didn't make me think of Emi until hours later.
Yuuko > Akira > Miki > Meiko > Sae.

Some one-shots I've written (Updated 7/29/2017)
brythain

Post by brythain »

emmjay wrote:After seeing Kingsman: The Secret Service yesterday, I'm not sure if I've been playing KS too much or not enough. On the one hand, the character Gazelle, with her running blades (and I do mean blades), immediately reminded me of Emi. On the other hand, the Swedish Princess saying, "We can do it in the ass" didn't make me think of Emi until hours later.
I had similar thoughts too, all round.

On a tangentially related note, I saw this and said to myself, "Oh, so that's what Suzu is doing these days!"

Charmant

Post by Charmant »

brythain wrote:
emmjay wrote:After seeing Kingsman: The Secret Service yesterday, I'm not sure if I've been playing KS too much or not enough. On the one hand, the character Gazelle, with her running blades (and I do mean blades), immediately reminded me of Emi. On the other hand, the Swedish Princess saying, "We can do it in the ass" didn't make me think of Emi until hours later.
I had similar thoughts too, all round.

On a tangentially related note, I saw this and said to myself, "Oh, so that's what Suzu is doing these days!"
Recipe for lawsuits and disaster...
Rhodri

Post by Rhodri »

So the Oldest Person in the world, Misao Okawa (aged 117 and 27 days) of Osaka passed away today. Apparently she died of Heart failure.

Died of heart failure on Hisao's birthday? Coincidence, I Think NOT!
"She also ties you up to a chair. You're gonna like that. Chairs are good. Chairs are your friend."

BeeFhGhost, Jan 15th 2012.
Alpacalypse

Post by Alpacalypse »

Rhodri wrote:So the Oldest Person in the world, Misao Okawa (aged 117 and 27 days) of Osaka passed away today. Apparently she died of Heart failure.

Died of heart failure on Hisao's birthday? Coincidence, I Think NOT!
It's a conspiracy, I tells ya!
I'd make an Illuminati joke, but Reddit would murder me
I am the harbinger of your destruction... By herbivorous, mountain dwelling quadrupeds... fear me
---
I also write now, apparently. Since everyone else does it, I'm putting it here
---
I have also discovered that I'm a decent proofreader. Anybody with SPaG problems is free to PM me their work for a thorough analysis and/or evisceration. Depends on how I'm feeling.