KS Academic Conference Paper - Seeking Help

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Psych!

Re: KS Academic Conference Paper - Seeking Help

Post by Psych! »

I've gotta say, reading this thread has been fascinating. It scratches my psychology itch. I find it interesting to see how many people playing along personally identify with Hanako and Rin. Is it the quality of the writing, or indicative of the kinds of people drawn to Visual Novels in the first place? Hmm...

Where all my INTPs/INFPs at?
A Humbled Fan

Post by A Humbled Fan »

I'm an INTP myself ;)

And being a psychologist myself, this has been an amazing opportunity to observe all of this.
Prof. Coyote

Post by Prof. Coyote »

A Humbled Fan wrote:I'm an INTP myself ;)

And being a psychologist myself, this has been an amazing opportunity to observe all of this.
Would you be interested in joining me on this paper? I mean, I'm more on the artsy side of things than the clinical side: you might be better on the clinical. I at least can analyze what's in the writing and the plotting that makes KS so successful at what it does.

PM me if you're interested. :)
A Humbled Fan

Post by A Humbled Fan »

Prof. Coyote wrote:
A Humbled Fan wrote:I'm an INTP myself ;)

Would you be interested in joining me on this paper? I mean, I'm more on the artsy side of things than the clinical side: you might be better on the clinical. I at least can analyze what's in the writing and the plotting that makes KS so successful at what it does.

PM me if you're interested. :)
That's quite an offer! Unfortunately, I don't know how much help I would be. My speciality is more in Developmental Psychology than Clinical. However, I would be more than willing to give input if needed!
Skater983

Post by Skater983 »

1. Which girl's thread affected you the most emotionally? Why did it do this?
I'd say Emi's. Hiding feelings is something I know more than I'd like to.

2. Which girl's thread did you successfully complete first (good ending)? How did you reach the good end of this thread? Did you use a guide, or did you answer the questions according to your own thoughts, as I did?
Emi's good ending without a guide. I got kicked out of her house though.

3. In what order would you rate the quality of the girls' threads?
Lilly>Hanako>Emi>Shizune (I haven't done Rin yet and I think she's so odd that I don't feel compelled to do so)

This is more of a quality of the story and writing type thing.

My favorite girls would be Emi>Misha(Why not)>Shizune>Lilly>Hanako>Rin

4. If there was a single word which describes the key a player must remember to complete each girl's thread, what would that word be for each girl?
Emi:Determination (the word anal also pops into my head because of how weird that was)
Shizune:Authoritative and somewhat arrogant
Lilly:compassionate
Hanako:timid
rin:odd

5. How much time did it take you to complete each girl's thread? (Play time, not total IRL time)
5 hours give or take 30 minutes. I began skip modeing through act one after the first 2

6. Give an example of a particularly effective piece of writing from your favorite girl's thread.
Hisao's speech about emi's determination

7. Give an example of a particularly effective piece of writing from your least favorite girl's thread.
Hisao's speech to misha when he finds her on the roof. The good ending speech where he pulls her from the fence as she pushes against it.

8. Do you feel that, after playing Katawa Shoujo, that you are better equipped emotionally for a real-life relationship? Why or why not? If you are currently in a relationship, do you feel that playing KS will allow you to strengthen it? Why or why not? Not really, real life relationships are much more complex than this
HurricaneHarvey

Post by HurricaneHarvey »

Hanako got me the worst because of the panic attack scene and the immediate aftermath. I am prone to panic attacks myself and school was a dreadful experience including several such episodes that were painful, humiliating, and frightening for everyone involved.

2. Which girl's thread did you successfully complete first (good ending)? How did you reach the good end of this thread? Did you use a guide, or did you answer the questions according to your own thoughts, as I did?
I got Emi first and got the good ending the first time as well. As I always do with visual novels I choose as close to how I felt I would in the given situation for the first play without aiming for any end specifically.

Quality of naritive? Quality of experience? Quality of emotinal response? I am not sure what to grade it on exactly but for which I preferred. Rin>Emi>Lilly>Hanako>Shizune

4. If there was a single word which describes the key a player must remember to complete each girl's thread, what would that word be for each girl?
Rin: Understanding
Emi: Loss
Lilly: Truth
Hanako: Trust
Shizune: Independence

5. How much time did it take you to complete each girl's thread? (Play time, not total IRL time)
Emi: 6 hours
Rin: 5.5 hours
Hanako: 3 hours
Lilly: 4 hours
Shizune: 4.5 hours

6. Give an example of a particularly effective piece of writing from your favorite girl's thread.
Proof of Existence, the end scene to the good end of Rin hit me hard. I reread that last part several times forgetting to go to sleep at all that night.

7. Give an example of a particularly effective piece of writing from your least favorite girl's thread.
Grand Strategy from Shinzune's route was very touching if a bit beyond reasonable expectations of a person even in fiction. She opened up so completely about herself and how she really feels that I felt genuinely attached to the character and wholly invested in seeing things work for the better for her. To put it another way she lay her self bare in a way so complete and intimate that something as simple as being naked is an insufficient simile.

8. Do you feel that, after playing Katawa Shoujo, that you are better equipped emotionally for a real-life relationship? Why or why not? If you are currently in a relationship, do you feel that playing KS will allow you to strengthen it? Why or why not?
I do not know that this would particularly prepare me for a real relationship. The expatiations from an ideal formed after playing something like this are just to grate. Mostly because of the points when the girls opened up so completely and honestly. People are just to guarded to do something like that. At the same time it reminds me of feelings something romantic like this can cause. To feel like you are not alone, that its not just about the sex but about two people grasping close to each-other in this vast lightless world and knowing the other feels the same and wont just let go of them. Remembering such a feeling and the hope for having it myself is a powerful motivation to put in the work for a real life relationship.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also I noticed some Myers-Briggs personality type talking going on. I happen to be a INTJ nearly every time I have taken the test with one time showing INTP coming to mind. It seems like I end up having to take that thing in some variation every 2 years or so now that I think about it.
Sorry for my grammar and spelling. I am not very good at those...
quellsnarg

Post by quellsnarg »

Psych! wrote:Where all my INTPs/INFPs at?
INFJ here...

...Kinda close? >_>; The J is my strongest trait out of all of them though, and the F/T have switched a few times during my life.
Shizune >>> Emi > Rin = Hanako >> Lilly
Shield

Post by Shield »

A tie between Rin and Lilly. Lilly because i have never felt so strongly about someone before that i felt emotion simply by seeing them (except with one person and that was hatred), and had begun to think myself incabpable of these feelings. And Rin because i feel similar to her in a few ways, and i feel the misunderstandings she goes through with Hisao and about her life are ones i might well go through myself.

The first time i played the Act 1 demo, i had a manly picnic and died. the first time i played the full game i got Lillys bad ending (the mistake i made was in the holiday home in Hokkaido, i waved her off instead of addressing the minor show of pity she makes. do i really want to argue with someone i like so much over something so small? not worth it i said. how wrong i was), after getting so emotional over this route, i decided to follow the girl i liked the leasts route and use a guide to get a bad ending to see if it bothered me as much as Lillys, which was Shizune. The next time i played was naturally, and i got Emis good route (after very nearly fucking it up though, i ignored Mutou and it was only due to Misha saving the day i made it to the good end. i wasnt about to discount her advice after i had done Shizunes route just before), after this i started using a guide to take me to the beggining of a girls route, following it naturally to its end, and then using the guide to see the scenes i had missed.

in order of the best story, Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly>Shizune, but by order of how much i like the girls. Lilly>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Shizune. Although i do feel i liked Shizune a lot more after following her route to the end, it definetly feels a bit out of place compared to the rest which are love stories. Shizunes feels like she never loved Hisao, she just gets satisfaction from dragging the best out of people, improving them and then making them proud of it. Or maybe i missed the point and should redo hers.

Lilly: transparency (ironic right? now i wonder if that was intentional)
Emi: care
Rin: love
Hanako: build
Shizune: focus

about 6 hours each, maybe a little more for Rin

you cant expect me to only pick one. special scenes for Rin include silently and enduringly supporting her by feeding her orange segments, the rooftop scene where they talk about all kinds of things and she hugs him (although the real stand out thing that hit me here was the line at the end where Hisao states he has finally left the person he was on the hospital bed behind, likewise what he says in the woods that it feels like he has finally surfaced from deep underwater) and of course the scene where she cries at the end, "to make a girl cry is the most despicable thing" especially when its someone so usually emotionally muted as Rin. "there are a lot of things i dont understand, like jellyfish. do you understand jellyfish? people are like jellyfish to me". Strong scenes for Emi include when she shouts at you in her room about how no one could ever or will ever help her with her phantom pains, among other things. and of course the famous graveyard scene, "im warming up to it". Lilly is often described as having a quiet confidence which puts Hisao at ease around her especially in silence. i have always wondered what it is that creates a "comfortable silence", it is a trait i very much enjoy in people. Many little things Lilly does made me very nervous, like when she asks to feel Hisaos face, and then tells him he is handsome. When she comes out after Hanakos birthday party and kisses him on the cheek.

Hanako is not someone i dislike, its just i would not be romantically interested in a girl like her. By god id want to protect her though, because of this i actually enjoyed her neutral ending more than her "good" one. there were a few times i remember being physically winded in her story, from sheer cute overload. i remember Lilly saying she bought her a doll for her birthday so she would have someone to talk to, i had to stop playing for a minuite to catch my breath, and instantly after that she followed up with "someone who would never say hurtful things to her", i immediatly had to stop again. "thank you for hanging out with me Hisao". Shizunes route of course has the Misha confession scene on the rooftop. To see someone so amazingly happy all the time, who i have enjoyed the company of, suddenly talk about how her entire stay in the school has been constantly intensely painful, was harrowing. She casually mentions suicide and you can see no way out of the situation at all, all the while she is leaning heavily on the fence you know is broken. I wanted greatly to reach out to her, and was so glad Hisao does "only just the fingers, but it was important", the game implies you are barely holding her over the brink of death. i was very very sad there was no way to make her truly happy in the game and i cant help but see her smiling face in the good ending as false. and the following H-scene with Shizune was marred with a strong guilt beyond salvation, not just because you are having sex with the girl your best friend loves, but because you are following her personal fantasy down to the letter. with the moonlight streaming in through the council room windows.... i was very surprised Hisao did not mention any sort of guilt, and it was one of the only times i felt strongly disconnected from him. Hisao did not really deserve that scene, Misha did a lot more.

8. Do you feel that, after playing Katawa Shoujo, that you are better equipped emotionally for a real-life relationship? Why or why not? If you are currently in a relationship, do you feel that playing KS will allow you to strengthen it? Why or why not?
Maybe a little bit. of course it is not real first hand experience with real people, so it can only ever be theory. but theory is definetly better than the nothing i had before.

This post is a little rushed and not as detailed as it was before, when i accidently tried to post without a name or spambot busting answer and lost it.
not that i feel my answers are more than anyone elses in the thread, but if you wanted to ask me anything more i would be happy to answer any amount of specific questions you could have, ill throw up a profile and PM you if youd like.
KFKenobi

Post by KFKenobi »

First I'd like to say that if I hadn't heard of this questionnaire, I might never have bothered with KS. Deservedly or not, KS is known for being "that visual novel made by 4chan where you hit on crippled chicks".

A few times during my career in game development I've had testers come to me to discuss how certain sequences I presented affected them, and helped them reflect on their own lives (sadly, these games never made it to market - long story - details under NDA). I always took time out for this, and not so much as a professional because there wasn't enough hours in the day to take notes and analyze my observations. All I could really do was give them the simple human courtesy of letting them talk out something that had an effect on them. I've often felt that not recording those chats was a missed opportunity.

Frankly if research into Katawa Shoujo can shine a light on the hows and whys (or at least give us better questions), I think we'll all be the richer for having that knowledge. I'm glad to do my part.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I skipped a LOT of content. I mean easily half of it. I generally only gave the 3rd and 4th acts a very thorough reading, and not always even then. It may sound strange, but I feel like I probably got the best possible experience for having done it this way. If it means I misunderstand some aspects of the plot or the characters, so be it. I firmly believe KS might have been twice as good if it were half as long. Everything I say should be qualified with "from what I've read"
Emi got the most consistent strong reactions, but when Shizune's arc hit me, it hit the hardest (discussed in Question 6).

As for Emi, everything about her cuts through my defenses: her design, her expressions, her infectious energy, and what she goes through during her arc. The "Emis" I've met in real life have always left me twitterpated. This is much to the bemusement of my more Hanako-like life partner who finds them offensively chipper. She often chides me for liking those spirited "girly girls". We both take it in good humor.

I won't discuss Emi in question 6 is because I don't think there's much to say. To understand why I react to Emi, you would need to understand things about me that I don't necessarily understand myself, let alone have a coherent explanation for. There were no standout "look at this" moments I could point to, just broad trends that appealed to my sensibilities in real but indistinct ways.
Hanako. I did what I'd really have done. I didn't want to freak her out by being too forward, but I did also want her to be used to me since we needed to share a common space.

Then it turns into this whole big deal. O_o

Dude just wanted to share the library with her.

I didn't use a guide until relatively late (3rd or 4th run) and by then many options were checked off anyway.
Eeek! They're all so different that ranking them is difficult. I felt they all needed to be trimmed down, Shizune's and Lilly's most notably.

Emi - Emi felt the most relatable, and is probably the one I'm going to think of if someone casually mentions KS. I think I read her arc more thoroughly than the others, but that says more about me than it does about the quality of Emi's arc.

Shizune - Hit me like a ton of bricks. She could have taken the top spot with a little trimming. I skipped way too much for how interested I was in the material. This was a difficult one to place in light of my answer to Question 6 (do I forgive some non-trivial flaws in favor of something I thought was very clever? I guess I did...), and I can see why this arc takes so many bottom spots.

Hanako - I feel bad for putting Hanako "somewhere in the middle" given my own relationship. I can tell you from experience this was perhaps the most hopelessly idealized arc. The other characters seemed to have some basis in reality. Helping the shy girl come out of her shell is a common male fantasy, and unlike some of the other arcs this one really fails to capture how agonizing this can be. For a work that was generally well informed, and well thought out, this was a bit of a let down.

Lilly - I probably skipped as much content as Shizune, and without seeing anything that really blasted me. Best illustrations in the game though. Given how many top spots this one has taken, I may give this arc a second shot. One of my problems with it is that Hanako was more interesting in this arc than Lily.

Rin - Rin had the narrowest focus, with much less of the "A-plot/B-Plot" formula that characterized the other arcs. This was a problem for me because I didn't connect with the theme of 'understanding'. With nothing else to grab on to, I joylessly pushed through this arc until the very end, where it picked up immensely.

Kenji - I skipped about 80% of Kenji's material. I'd slow down sometimes and check the text history to see if I wanted to read this. Not really.
Emi - Indirect
Shizune - Refuse :twisted:
Hanako - Discretion
Lilly- Confront
Rin- Support
About 2 hours per character give or take 30 minutes. Hard to say because I'd do a few scenes, then go back to work, then do a few more scenes. This is all while leaving the game running. So my play time measured in-game is not representative.
I hate to be that guy, but what IS writing to you? This term is often conflated with simple technical wordsmithing/composition (which itself comprises grammar, and the use of language in a general sense), as well as matters of characterization, pacing, and overall approach to themes and tone. If you're talking about simply the written passages as they are written, well... I can answer both questions 6 and 7 here: none of them stand out to me. Almost nothing in KS stayed in my head like the famous opening to Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas that I can quote verbatim (huge bats!). I found Katawa Shoujo made up of an unmemorable collection of words.

But that's where KS is more than the sum of its (parts... no...) execution. There are aspects of KS that were clearly well thought out: the significance of a girl sensitive about her appearance being best friends with a girl that can't see was never lost on me (this is just one obvious example). To the writers' credit, these matters are seldom addressed directly (unless it happens in one of the many large sections I skipped. In which case I like my version better!)

The most impactful scene for me wasn't even in my favorite girl's thread. It was Shizune's binding of Hisao. The act of binding someone who can only speak to you in sign gave me a very strong reaction. This is "shut up and kiss me" turned up to 11. This is, "I am taking your voice." Her intentions seemed innocent enough. To her this probably felt like putting on the training wheels. Now everything is nice and safe, and she can explore at her own pace. It's almost sweet, for a rape scene. I found this one of the most disturbing scenes in KS because it highlights how dangerously selfish Shizune can be.

Various scenes might have made a tug for my heart strings (or other anatomy) with greater or lesser effectiveness, but I often found myself shrugging and saying "That's life" (another reason I relate to Emi's arc in a broad, but less particular sense). The above sequence was something altogether different - it transformed the entire arc for me, sending a shockwave in all directions through the narrative.
I won't lie; I nearly gave up on Rin's arc. I followed through only for the sake of this questionnaire. I kept thinking "I get you Rin, it's not what it looks like". I guess that's why I didn't click with the bulk Rin's arc: we're too alike. I speak 'artist'.

Then somewhere near the end, she has a conversation with Hisao that mirrors ones I've had many times, with me on Rin's end. The KS writing team clearly grasps how this aspect of the creative process can make some people behave strangely. Another example of the thought behind KS shining through an otherwise forgettable technical presentation (and why your questions about "writing" "quality" are difficult for me to answer as directly as some other responders).

Yes, being an artist is exactly like eating a watermelon Popsicle. Bravo! One of the few bits of wordsmithing that even kinda sorta stuck.

And not long after this, Nomiya has a talk with Rin, and it's one I've had many times with me on Nomiya's end.

It's a shame those parts came so late.
*chuckles* Oh my no. It's a fantasy game - just an extremely endearing one. That doesn't mean someone couldn't pick up something. I think Hisao is a good role model in some ways. He's caring without being a doormat, and shows some real assertiveness when standing his ground. I especially appreciate how his sexual exploits are byproducts of genuine affection rather than the objective from the beginning.

I am in a relationship, but I don't think KS made any lasting impressions on it. I asked my partner about this and she said there's nothing something like KS could really do in our case. We're two people with solid, time tested strategies for living together and dealing with our differences, and we like each other. KS can't touch that, although I think it did portray it.

PS

INFP representin'

PPS I'm aware of the irony of saying "KS would better if it was half as long" and making a post for which the same is true. This IS the trimmed version.
Last edited by KFKenobi on Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tomate

Post by Tomate »

Psych! wrote:Where all my INTPs/INFPs at?
INTP reporting for duty.
Don't just eat that hamburger, eat the HELL out of it!
Lloonnee2

del

Post by Lloonnee2 »

del
Last edited by Lloonnee2 on Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prof. Coyote

Post by Prof. Coyote »

Again, my deepest thanks to everyone who has responded to this questionnaire thus far. I've now begun the process of collecting academic research regarding psychological treatises of empathy in interpersonal relationships, so that there's something to compare KS to.

I figured I'd answer one question that might have folks confused:
KFKenobi wrote:I hate to be that guy, but what IS writing to you?
When I'm talking "effective writing," I'm talking on an emotional level (which you actually figured out!). In the two questions asking about effective writing, I'm looking for the scene which packed the biggest emotional punch for you, which probably would have left you a wriggling ball of emotional jelly on the floor if you didn't have so much composure. For example, the way I would answer the questions:

Favorite girl: Two scenes for Hanako: her panic attack in the classroom because I've had to talk my wife down from panic attacks in the past; and her good end when she and Hisao are finally able to see each other as equals, not to mention her "first gift" to Hisao.

Least favorite girl: Shizune using getting away from her overbearing father as an excuse for a quickie with Hisao.

I should have also explained that my side gig from the whole professor thing is as a fantasy novelist, and when I write I'm more about emotions than mechanics, especially in what I've been writing lately. (I also tend to write from feminine viewpoints, which might have made KS hit me even harder.)
jsc_tidus

Post by jsc_tidus »

Lily.. Its been one of my lifetime's inquiry to know how blind people sort things out, or even how are they in relationships.

Emi.. Basically just choose the answer that I i would choose if it was really me. No guide, just my pure thoughts.

Lily.. Emi.. Misha.. Hanako.. The rest is quite blurry, they are very unique to each one of them.

Being ridiculously honest?

I'm pretty much the guy who do pretty much everything. So it does takes time to finish one after one. Around 2-3 days.

I dont really remember all the game's script.. But its from Lily, when Lily blindfolded the player.

Same as above, but i dont really fond of Shizune's... Thats it, the dots ... :lol:

Sure, why not. Think of any game is a kind of an art. Unique game like this will surely effect anybody who go through it. It definitely strengthens me up in my relationship, as KS has reminded me that, again, no ones perfect. Disabilities or not, they must have something they can call advantage or disadvantage. Its just about life with different people with different strength.
Theeyebrowsofdoom

Post by Theeyebrowsofdoom »

Hands down Hanako. I fell in love with her back when I first played the Act 1 demo, and named a beloved object in my real life after her (my leather jacket). I guess what attracted me to her was the possibility of this shy girl opening up to "me", and being the closeness seeker that I am, being one of the rare people she cares about, possibly even the best.

Hanako. I simply thought Lilly would know best about her closest friend. I picked out the answers I thought was the best course of action, and my goal to be Hanako's beloved was clear from the start.

Hanako>Lilly>Shizune>Emi>Rin

Hanako - Respect
Lilly - Honesty
Shizune - Fidelity
Emi - Determination
Rin - Consideration

A few hours each. I devoted a few consecutive nights and tried to finish each girl's route in one sitting until morning. My only exception was Lilly, I was just too sleepy to go on that night, so I went to bed and finished it the following night.

The park scene. When Hanako said that she "let [Hisao] do that...", I was devastated by her choice of words. When you "let" someone "do" sex to you, that's never a good thing.

The second H-scene.

Well I feel that I've noticed things in common between Hanako and my girlfriend, and that in turn made me realize something about myself. Weirder, I now can imagine having sex with my girlfriend more clearly, instead of falling back on thinking about my experiences with my ex-girlfriend, when it comes to thinking about the concept of coitus.

I'm available to read and reply to PMs if need be for any further questions.
Panty Supervisor

Post by Panty Supervisor »

That was Hanako's story. I thought that her being shy was cute and adorable, but I felt really bad about that when it turned out that it was in fact a crippling social anxiety. Also, I did exactly the wrong thing when I looked at her as something weak that needs protection. I didn't realize that this was a way of looking down at her.

After failing to get the good ending of Shizune's story, I decided to read Emi's story and managed to get her good end. From the very moment when I read that Emi had difficulties with her prosthetics and still decided to run, I had the feeling that if she would go on like this, she would eventually destroy herself (and that feeling was right, she did land herself in a wheelchair once again). Therefore, I tried to get closer to her, even when she tried to push me (or Hisao, more accurately) away. Turned out that this was the right decision.

Emi > Hanako > Lilly > Shizune > Rin

My vocabulary isn't big enough for this. As a non-native English speaker, I usually paraphrase what I want to say. Breaking it down to a single word would require a sense of precision that I don't have, at least not in English.

No idea. But I decided to read a little slower after the Shizune route. I rushed through her route and lost the train of thought at some points. At first, I thought that it was maybe written in a weird way, but I think I was just trying to read too fast.

I liked the transition of the mood in Emi's route. At first, everything seems to be perfect, no problems around. But then Hisao sees Emi almost tripping at the track meet and he overhears the nurse telling her to be more careful. Just one or two sentences in the writing that are quickly forgotten as the story goes on, but these instances become more frequent.

Every time Rin shows her complete ignorance of context. It's funny the first few times she says random shit that has nothing to do with anything, but it becomes annoying very fast.

[shimmie]2488[/shimmie]

I guess KS has shown me a few problems that may arise in a relationship. For example, a shy person might not be looking for someone to pity and protect her, but for someone who will still treat her as an equal. Stuff like that. I think that after reading this visual novel, I'm probably more aware of these problems and would be able to notice them more quickly in a real relationship.
Yuuko > Misha > Emi > Hanako > Lilly > Shizune > Rin