KS Academic Conference Paper - Seeking Help

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Prof. Coyote

Re: KS Academic Conference Paper - Seeking Help

Post by Prof. Coyote »

Jarrakul wrote:An academic paper? Very interesting. I don't suppose you'd tell us your name, or at least what university you're from, so that we can keep an eye out? Budding grad students want to know!
There's a post above which takes you to a Google books listing for my Master's thesis. The listing gives you my real name, and my credentials are listed three posts before it. As far as my college, this is my current college: you can look me up under Developmental Education.
Maakasu_Taihaku

Post by Maakasu_Taihaku »

I came in late aswell and just finished Hanako and regret not leaving her for last and going into Lilly now, since now that i seen her in another stors i can't help but go back to her.... :( she my favourite. I'll answer the best i can for the little time i played.

1. Which girl's thread affected you the most emotionally? Why did it do this?
Hanako, and i don't think anyone else will be able to affect me as much, I went to her because I felt strongly for her, much like Hisao did, I knew to repsect her distance and not to bring up sensitive subjects... dare i say i acutally felt and still feel love for this character. im pretty sure hers is the most touching and heart wrenching emotional ride in my life, I felt the Up and downs, and i felt it in my heart. Nothing has ever moved me as such, and made me cry as i did. Tears that had to be shed, or i would feel wrong holding it in.

2. Which girl's thread did you successfully complete first (good ending)? How did you reach the good end of this thread? Did you use a guide, or did you answer the questions according to your own thoughts, as I did?
Hanako again, given that she is my first and just working on my second playthrough, I reached it using my sense, my heart and gut. So my own thoughts.

3. In what order would you rate the quality of the girls' threads?
Hanako like i said is #1 even when i do complete the others..... So take this answer as it is, Rin i hear is touching, so i'll look into this eventually. As it stands Hanako. Then Lilly(since its my current)

4. If there was a single word which describes the key a player must remember to complete each girl's thread, what would that word be for each girl?
Hanako: Trust
Lilly: Kindhearted

5. How much time did it take you to complete each girl's thread? (Play time, not total IRL time)
Hanako's took me 8hrs to be honest. i really took my time and took in the story. also if i really had to leave the computer i would save and walk away.(suppers and etc)

6. Give an example of a particularly effective piece of writing from your favorite girl's thread
last half of arc 4 and The ending pretty much all of it(good ending).

7. Give an example of a particularly effective piece of writing from your least favorite girl's thread.
hmm don't got one yet

8. Do you feel that, after playing Katawa Shoujo, that you are better equipped emotionally for a real-life relationship? Why or why not? If you are currently in a relationship, do you feel that playing KS will allow you to strengthen it? Why or why not?
Yes, yes I do, what i learn from KS not only improved my out look on people, but on life, i feel happier even, feeling that after going through Hanako's thread I've learnt more about life and people than school in its self(grade 12 grad) I feel like I could fall in love as I did with Hananko during the ark, and still feel love for her.
I feel i've become truly a better person, the person who i was, that i thought i lost long ago, even maybe better than that.
I wish her story didn't end but with all storys it has to. atleast for now. I feel if i do fall in love It will be stronger than it would be if i did not read this story.
Last edited by Maakasu_Taihaku on Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hanako....can't stop thinking about her.....
russianspy1234

Post by russianspy1234 »

Prof. Coyote wrote: 1. Which girl's thread affected you the most emotionally? Why did it do this?
2. Which girl's thread did you successfully complete first (good ending)? How did you reach the good end of this thread? Did you use a guide, or did you answer the questions according to your own thoughts, as I did?
4. If there was a single word which describes the key a player must remember to complete each girl's thread, what would that word be for each girl?
5. How much time did it take you to complete each girl's thread? (Play time, not total IRL time)
6. Give an example of a particularly effective piece of writing from your favorite girl's thread.
7. Give an example of a particularly effective piece of writing from your least favorite girl's thread.
8. Do you feel that, after playing Katawa Shoujo, that you are better equipped emotionally for a real-life relationship? Why or why not? If you are currently in a relationship, do you feel that playing KS will allow you to strengthen it? Why or why not?
1. Hanako for sure. The reasons are... well it's tough to say actually. I myself don't really relate to her situation, nor do I have anyone close to me in my life that does. It might have to do more with her seeming more real to me me writing wise than any of the other characters, and her reactions to tiny acts of kindness just made me want to do more and more of them, causing me to become heavily emotionally invested in her well being.
2. When I first played the demo years ago, making natural choices I got Emi. Downloading the full version, the only meta choice I made was not introducing myself to the class, to make Hanako more likely. The rest were completely natural choices, leading me to Hanako's good end.
3. Threads, as opposed to the girls themselves? The list actually matches up pretty closely for me... From best to worst: Hanako, Emi, Lily, Rin, Shizune
4. Wow this is difficult....
Hanako: guidance
Emi: misha
Lily: honesty
Rin: acceptance
shizune: fidelity
5. How do you measure play time when most of it is spend reading? Can't just measure choices... I would say a few hours per girl total.
6. The final scene in Hanako's route, with the kiss. I've seen a lot of people complain about it on here, but it's not just my favorite scene in the game, its one of my favorite scenes in anything I've read.
7. The whole deal with Misha explaining her feelings towards Shizune to you.
8. Not particularly. It did however give me some good responses to situations I've had trouble putting into words before, such as when Hisao tells Emi that even knights helped each other out.
Geroaergaroe

Post by Geroaergaroe »

Well, at first, english isn't my native language, so I apologize for any grammar or vocabulary mistake.

Lilly. I guess that I got a thing for blonde. Plus, since it's full of cliche, it -sort of- reminded me others story and catalysed them in the story.

Lilly, first try. Answered the questions according to my own thoughts, because anyway losing is fun

Lilly > Rin > Emi = Hanako = Shizune

Lilly : Truth
Rin : Insight
Hanako : Distance
Shizune : Patience
Emi : Indulgence

Around 3-4 hours.

6. Give an example of a particularly effective piece of writing from your favorite girl's thread.
Those quiet moments when we just walked side by side, the precious time we spent with Hanako and Akira, the casual chatter we had during lunchtimes, the times we made love, the confession of our feelings to each other...
All pointless. All just fleeting moment of our young lives.

"We're just two children pretending to be adult, aren't we ?"
Lilly Path - A Faraway Future

"This is me... All of me" - Hanako Path

Hard, as it's quite a tie in the end but I guess it would be that one.

8. Do you feel that, after playing Katawa Shoujo, that you are better equipped emotionally for a real-life relatonship? Why or why not? If you are currently in a relationship, do you feel that playing KS will allow you to strengthen it? Why or why not?

I'm not better equipped for a real-life relationship. That is just binary file that played with my emotion. Surely, that emotion are usefull in a real-life relationship, but I already felt them before playing. Therefore, It didn't teached me anything.
Yet, maybe it changed a little my view on disabled person. It reminded me that "disabled" is only an adjective, and that the noun is the most important thing after all.
Tomate

Post by Tomate »

Hanako - Hers was my first route,and the first time is always the better.

My first good ending was Shizune's. No guides, just my thoughts

Lilly, Shizune, Hanako, Emi, Rin.

Lilly: Truth
Hanako: Challenge (her)
Emi: Confort
Rin: Understanding
Shizune: Boldness

+-12 Hours each route, usually within 3 days;

Hanako's bad ending when she screams at Hisao is very powerful. I was not expecting it, it did hit me like a sledgehammer (of awesomeness)

Rin's ending at the Dandelion fields is probably the best part of a confusing and (overly?) dramatic route.

Nope. even though Ks was one of the best games i ever played i cant say I'm more prepared for relationships solely based on it, it made me think about life, but not in a measurable way.
Don't just eat that hamburger, eat the HELL out of it!
Brisingr

Post by Brisingr »

Mine would have to be Hanako. While I didn't have noticeable scars like hers, my own medical conditions left me wide open for ridicule in middle school and high school. My own conditions were not life threatening at the time (still not) and nobody would even know I had them if they were to see me walking down the street but a damn middle school assignment forced my class to do a speech on what kind of abnormalities we had. As I expected, this made me a target for half of the school. I sympathize with Hanako because the bully aspect of my life and the eventual seclusion from other people. It got so bad at times that I would briefly consider suicide just to make it stop. Whenever it got to that point, I would force myself to think of the people this act would affect and of everything I still wanted to do. I still tend to avoid people now that I'm in college but no where near a much as Hanako. I even have a group of people I like to hang out with now as part of the local videogame club.

The first story arc I finished with a good ending was Emi's. This was my first time through the game so I did it without a guide.

I found it increasingly difficult to apply any kind of ratings to the girl's story arcs as they all had their own appeal for me but this is the best I can guess:
Hanako > Shizune > Lilly > Emi > Rin

Hanako: acceptance
Shizune: Understanding
Lilly: Honesty
Emi: Persistence
Rin: Support

Each girl took about 5-7 hours I guess. Never really kept track.

Hisao: "Your my friend Hanako! Your... No, you're more than that. I love you Hanako. I love you so much, that the thought of losing you frightened me so much..."
Hanako: "I can't help... feeling a bit happy. For so long... that's what's what I've wanted... to hear..."

Hisao thinking: Coming to terms with oneself, accepting yourself, being fine with what you are. A simple resolution of heart that for some people is overbearingly hard to do, if not impossible. I do realize well enough that I might also be one of those people. Maybe we are not that different after all. Maybe to accept someone else, you must first accept yourself. Maybe that is a necessary step, which we didn't take until now."

I feel that I could be more accepting of people I may date in the future but other than that, I truly can't say for sure. I currently don't have a girlfriend so I can't answer the second part.
Riku

Post by Riku »

The route for Lilly is the one that affected me the most. There was something about the rather traditional relationship between Lilly and Hisao that was something that I could really connect to. I think that it also affected me because three years ago when I first found out about this game and played the first act, Lilly was my natural choice and was the first girl whose route I completed.

The first route I completed was Lilly's route. My first playthrough, I used the Act 1 flowchart that I used three years ago to help guide me from Lilly, seeing as the story didn't change much in the first act. Once I finished Act 1, however, I went with my gut to finish the rest of Lilly's arc. Unfortunately, I was one decision off from getting the good ending and wound up getting the neutral ending where the credits roll right after she leaves for Scotland. After finding out that I had not gotten the good ending and unveiling where I made my mistake, I replayed the route to get the good ending, which filled me with loads of emotions.

Though I do find Lilly's to stand out to me more than the others, I find this to be an especially difficult task since each route had its own specific ups and downs.
Lilly>Rin<Emi<Hanako<Shizune

For Lilly, it would be kindness. For Hanako, it would be patience. For Rin, it would be knowing. For Emi, it would be understanding. For Shizune, it would be logic.

It would have to average around 8 hours each, give or take. I would spend entire afternoons just playing.

I apologize for being unable to properly comply to this request, but there are two moments in Lilly's route which especially struck me as effective. One of which was already quoted above, but I will requote for you.
Those quiet moments when we just walked side by side, the precious time we spent with Hanako and Akira, the casual chatter we had during lunchtimes, the times we made love, the confession of our feelings to each other...
All pointless. All just fleeting moment of our young lives.

"We're just two children pretending to be adult, aren't we ?"
The second example of which is when Kenji knocks Lilly over and she exclaims and expletive (which is unlike her). This shows that underneath the facade of calmness, she is still dealing with some stressful personal topics which you find out to be her family summons.

I can't really think of one. Perhaps Misha.

I find this to be a bittersweet question. I am not currently in a relationship, though this game has made me long to find someone I can connect to on the level that Hisao did with these girls. I suppose this makes me want to find something that is serious and long term, and I would work hard to make it last for as long as I could.

Post by Guest »

Apologizing in advance for any grammar mistake or anything of the sort

1. More emotions:
Rin. I can easily relate to her-- her ways of trying to explain herself, her frustration when she is aware that this can be difficult, and her final realization that in the end is fine to be oneself. Also, her route was really well written and that really helped me to connect emotionally with everything involving the route.

2. First route finished:
Emi. I kind of used a flowchart (I read one before even starting the whole game and I didn’t understand it so I barely remembered anything) but I would have gotten the good ending anyway, reading it or not (as IRL I would have stayed with her mother instead of going after Emi).

Quality of threads:
Rin>Hanako>Lilly>Emi>Shizune

Personal preference (how I like them as characters):
Rin>Shizune>Lilly>Hanako>Emi

4. Defining in a single word:
Shizune: confidence
Lilly: honesty
Hanako: respect
Emi: perseverance
Rin: support

5. Time taken:
It took me about 6-7 hours each, Rin and Lilly being the longest ones.

6. Effective piece of writing from my favourite girl:
Rin's second H-scene was beautifully done. And the whole last scene (Proof of Existence.)

7. Effective piece of writing from my least favourite girl:
The part where Emi is at the graveyard with Hisao and she starts saying that her favourite colour is blue and onwards. Honestly showing herself to Hisao in that way was a really touching scene (Whispers of the Past.)

8. Better equipped for a relationship after playing KS?
It was pretty insightful, and it kind of made me more aware of myself, so I would say yes. I'd make my partner play it too, because I think it would help to understand each other better, but I also hope it would make my partner understand himself better, whatever route fits him the most. However, I know this game is not the ultimate guideline of life because relationships and people are so diverse that they may never fit any of the situations in the game.
But personally, it helped.

*I don't know if it's worthy to mention, but I'm a straight female. I just want to point out that this game has the potential to emotionally move any kind of person willing to give KS a try. That's truly something, I think.
Prof. Coyote

Post by Prof. Coyote »

Thank you to all who have contributed thus far to this thread. I think this weekend's collection of information will be an awesome start. I'd still like to get more, though. If you scrolled through all the responses and have lost track of the questions, here they are again:

Again, thank you!
vexx

Post by vexx »

Probably the Hanako route, it tends to be my favorite overall route and the idea of teasing someone out of their defensive shields is an ongoing theme I like.
I completely the Emi thread first, without a chart... early choices fired some mystery flags. After that I used a flowchart.
Hmmm, ordering by storyline content in terms of "hmmm, that felt likely and right"...
Lily, Emi, Hanako, Rin, Shizune .... I actually felt like the "bad end" for Shizune was truer than her good end.
Lily -- calm Hanako -- cautious Emi -- bold Rin -- patient Shizune -- stubborn
The first route took the longest (about 4 hrs), the rest I was using a chart and skipping over dialog sections I'd covered before.
The sequence where Hanako brings him to her room because of a mistaken belief about his motivations (trying not to spoil too much) and the realization they both have afterwards about their misunderstanding of each other.
Misha's secret backstory... in my opinion, it salvaged what was otherwise a messy disjointed thread that I found hard to "believe".
I'm in a relationship (actually been married for over 30 years). A work like this helps me *remember* to consider the other person's feelings and not to assume too much.
AF249

Post by AF249 »

Hard to say, personally. If by raw emotion, Emi's due to going into it blind. If by how I feel about a girl overall, Hanako's since I partially know some of the anxiety she's feeling as well as having a bit more emotional impact of self-inflicted isolation from people, per se (even though mine's more of a minor case in that I just don't like talking to new people overall due to not knowing how to talk with them when I don't know them that well).

Emi's was the first one I completed successfully on my first try. I mostly just followed a bit of my conscience of what I would feel to do as well as being slightly genre savvy of what could happen, so it was basically a bit of careful planning with how I made my decisions. I didn't use a guide since I went into it blind since I like to experience at least one path without a guide.

After that, I did a little research and became slightly aware of some things. Shizune's was TECHNICALLY the only one I used a guide on since I was aware of the one flag that could screw it up. The rest I was still half blind on and following what both I think and what would be the better decision if I'm unsure (even though being genre savvy doesn't always help...as I found out with Hanako's bad ending ._.).

By story:
1. Hanako
2. Emi
3. Lilly
4. Rin (not 100% due to not being finished yet)
5. Shizune

By girls:
1. Hanako
2. Lilly or Emi (depending on my mood)
4. Rin (not 100% due to not being finished yet)
5. Shizune

Hanako: Equality
Emi: Determination (...maybe)
Rin: (not applicable due to not finishing yet)
Shizune: Loyalty

Roughly 4-6 hours. I literally have no idea since I didn't look at the time stamps.

When Hanako was going catatonic over the mention of her birthday. It was heartbreaking to the point where I felt like I was a part of that scene and felt the same helplessness the others were feeling. It also showed us how effective Mutou is at his job.

...and sorry for adding this, even though she's second favorite...but I still have to mention it. Lilly's route when she fell down and swore. Even if what she said is minor in our vocabulary...it still struck off as a "holy crap" moment since she pretty much never swears....and I was aware she swore for that one moment. It was still as effective as if I wasn't aware.

Probably the Act 1 Ending of Shizune just opening her arms wide to the sky, basically telling you to look in the sky and see how beautiful the fireworks are...and all without words. Still struck off as something memorable.

No. I don't really look into it for a relationship advice sort of thing (I'm just a sucker for games like this sometimes :3c). I'm also not in a relationship.

However, I will say that it did equip me a bit emotionally overall. It helped me realize that people with disabilites are just that...people. No more, no less. That reasoning partially assures me of myself because I also have a disability, even though it's mental and not physical; it being Asperger's Syndrome. I'm apprehensive to talk about it to people who aren't aware of me having a disability and don't really like to use it as a "crutch," per se, to explain a bit of my behavior...but it also become difficult to talk to people as to why I'm sometimes like the way I am, especially for being socially awkward. This may or may not explain why I like Hanako...though, even that statement is debatable........... ...I think I should shut up now ._.

Post by Guest »

Lilly. Even though she seemed like the most level-headed of the characters, the way she abandons the player at the very end totally took me by surprise. The indications that she has some emotional baggage with her family that she never brings up adds a lot to this, and it made me feel betrayed. I put all this time into the game and she just up and leaves?! How can she do that!? The actual resolution felt a little cliched and maybe unrealistic, but was so relieving to me. It is almost fairy-tale-ish, but maybe that kind of optimism is okay to have sometimes.

Hanako. I answered according to my own thoughts.

Lilly > Emi > Hanako > Shizune > Rin. I felt Rin's character changed drastically between the first two acts and the last two and it really rubbed me the wrong way.

Emi: Perseverence
Hanako: Engaging
Shizune: Presence (she does all the work, in more ways than one~)
Rin: Flexibility

~5-8 hours each, I usually had other windows open during some parts of the game and took a bit longer than I might have otherwise.

From 'Crescendo' in Lilly's thread, where Lilly says that Hisao, Hanako, and herself felt like a "small, misshapen family." She talks about wishing it could go on forever, before she breaks down in concern over losing Hisao. "After having been left in Japan without her family, and with only Akira, Hanako and I around, she was afraid of losing yet another person who was close to her." This line really puts it in perspective for her. You can see the other character's weaknesses pretty early on, but it's only here that you see her vulnerability. The scene that follows is really emotional and effective, and this is really the turning point in the relationship.

I loved the majority of Rin's non-sequitirs, I just wish she hadn't wrapped up inside herself in Act 3. I suppose the part that stood out to me was Hisao taking Rin on a night walk in 'Reverse Escapism.' "At every intersection it was possible to choose your direction at random because they all lead nowhere. The aimless wandering made me see things differently. I hope it'll do the same for Rin," hits really well and encompasses the fact that Rin needs to find a direction to move in. Her saying that the city at night, "s not a different world. It's the same, just asleep," shows how closed-off she is from the exercise, the metaphor, and from life in general.

I do not necessarily feel better-equipped emotionally for a real-life relationship; however, I feel a little more motivated to put in the time and care required. I am currently in a relationship, and I think the game might help me strengthen it. It's hard to think about losing somebody until it happens, and at the times in the game where it feels like you are losing the character you're pursuing, it hits home. It feels a lot like rejection I've faced before. I think this reminder might be a good kick in the pants and help me make sure I'm really doing what I can to make my girlfriend feel special, and make her know how much I care about her, instead of assuming she knows these things. It also feels like it sort of raises the bar for how much somebody should do for their loved one, and makes me want to make sure I'm treating my girlfriend as well as she deserves to be treated.
SilvaChocobo

Post by SilvaChocobo »

Sorry for a relatively late reply, but here you go! I really do love this game.
- I would have to say Hanako's route really spoke to me the most. It's hard to pinpoint exactly why I find myself attached to her the most, but I can try to summarize it. I supposed I just find that I identify with her; she's a quiet, shy person who yearns for friends who see her as a peer and not just a "broken" girl who needs fixing. It's something hard to describe with words why I just connected with her; I kinda just knew I had to go down her route the first time I played. Seeing her endings, both good and bad, really evoked some strong feelings within.

- I successfully completed Hanako's good ending first. I didn't use a flowchart to get to her arc, I honestly picked answers I thought had both Hanako in mind as well as myself. Perhaps this is also part of the reason why I feel this attachment to Hanako, it seemed "natural."

- Although Hanako's route is my favorite, I would have to say the order goes something like this: Rin, Hanako, Lilly, Emi, Shizune. Rin's route is, in my opinion, the most well-thought out thread that touches on all manners of human complexity and inner problems, such as how to express oneself.

- Hanako: Equality. She just wants someone to be there for her, friend or more then a friend, whether she's fine or not. No one wants to be treated like a broken doll (which I think is the importance of the dolls she receives for her birthday .
Lilly: Truth. Simple as that, telling the truth. She's the kind of person who appreciates honesty in friendship.
Shizune: Understanding. I have read somewhere that people who are deaf/mute are typically more blunt and frank in their actions, because they cannot convey their thoughts easily. It is when Hisao starts to pick up sign language that you really begin to understand her inner workings.
Emi: Perserverance. It applies in two main ways: Running, to get Hisao back into shape, and also in getting closer to Emi.
Rin: Patience. It truly is key for this route. Her route is just so complex, to say the least. Also, some may be put off by how Rin talks and expresses herself, but that's who she is.

- I would say at least 5-6 hours each playthrough.

- "From then on, I believed that it didn't matter if nobody else acknowledged me. All existence ever did was make people troubled, after all. It was...easier...if I just didn't exist." This quote I found powerful because it shows how Hanako came to be in such a state, where trust and equality became such an incredible deal. She didn't want people to worry about her, she didn't want to be a burden.

7. Give an example of a particularly effective piece of writing from your least favorite girl's thread
- From Shizune's route: Kenji takes off his glasses, putting him in a different light than simply the "comedic relief" of the game: "No way. these are just the eyes of a man who has seen things. A shaman's eyes. Terrible things, that you can't imagine. Like when I made a ship in a bottle sat on it. There was blood and shreds of floral print everywhere. That's what life experience is." I realize that this piece of writing sin't about Shizune, but I feel that this particular scene really casts Kenji in a different light, from a different perspective.

- I'm not sure, to be honest. I think that I would definitely be more understanding, emotionally, about my partner. Each route teaches you something about yourself; I take the stories of each route, the characters of each girl, and apply them to my life. I think that has made me a better person, in general. Overall, in terms of relationships, I think playing KS made me truly realize that relationships are going to have sharp peeks and deep valleys, that none are ever perfect. It may take time to really understand your partner, and that's okay.

Afterthought:
Isn't it amazing how much this game can affect someone? How much the girls can make us reflect on ourselves? I think these are some of the reasons this game is just so incredible, to say the least. I myself played through Hanako's route the first time, and it made me so emotional. I was so attached to Hanako, and I still am. Doesn't this game make the real world seem so shitty?
But that's where we have to draw the line. We have to take the experience we got from playing through this game, both the good and the bad, and apply it to our lives. How much people identify with this game speaks magnitudes to its accuracy in depicting the complexity of human lives.
Bokito

Post by Bokito »

I sent my reply by private message, I'd love if you were able to reply to it seeing as I had some questions of my own. Very interesting, I'd love to hear how this ends up.
MrJackFrost

Post by MrJackFrost »

First of all, Sir. This is NOT a game, this IS art. ^^
Prof. Coyote wrote: I have a series of questions that I'd like you to answer:

Thanks in advance for your participation, should you choose to answer.

For those who might want to know, my order of preference: Hanako-Lilly-Emi-Rin-Shizune.
1. Emi's route. Because, well maybe I'll send this via PM.

2. I finish Emi's good ending. I did what I think that I would do if I were Hisao. I did fumble into the "bad" route but finally managed to get the good ending (the part where Hisao chase Emi in the track field).

3. 1) Emi 2) Rin 3) Lilly 4) Hanako 5) Shizune Well, the quality of the first four are nearly equal. But I found that Shizu's route a little bit lacking conflict, so I don't really favor her route.

4. Hanako: Trust
Shizu: (Be) faithful
Lilly: (Be more) open
Emi: Empathy (not sympathy)
Rin: (Be) Supportive

5. Can't remember. Since I had to reformat my hard disk last week and starts all over again.

6. Emi: "Determination? What do you know about determination?"

Hisao: "I know that there's a girl so determined to take care of a total stranger that she'd steal his food at a festival."

Hisao: "I know that there's a girl so determined to help me with my own problems that she'd draw up a complete dietary and exercise plan, and that she'd not only draw up the plans, but she'd follow them with me, even when she couldn't run."

Hisao: "Determined enough to keep me at arm's length that she'd put herself through emotional pain if she thought it was the right thing to do."

Hisao: "Although, there's one thing that this determined girl didn't quite plan for, which was that I might feel the same kind of determination to keep her from being hurt. I fell in love with you, and I refuse to let that be thrown away because you're afraid of losing me."

Resilience and perseverance. Some things that I wouldn't really expect from a man who just recovered from a shocking life experience.

7. Hisao: "I wonder if I'll be able to meet someone in the future like me. Someone filled with bitterness. I want to talk to that person, since I can't talk to myself. I want to tell them that lie is too short; something that couldn't be told to me, only shown. I want to do it without pity. If I had been pitied, I'm sure that I'd have only died a little more. When I think about that first week, I still think about how well it went. So well that it could only be called the result of kindness. I feel like I want to show others the same kindness."

These words got strength. I awe them.

8. Yes. I'll send the rest of this via PM. ^^
Carpo diem! -- Seize the day!