Online Japanese KS reception

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Online Japanese KS reception

Post by Guest »

Online reception isn't too good,(not that many of them have played it, i think)
But then again, it's from 2ch.
“I don’t care about the content, but give the naming some thought already. Are they trying to market this with outrage or what?”

[The game's title of "cripple girl" is as cringe-inducing in Japanese as it would be in English, and would be regarded as outrageously offensive towards disabled people in Japan]

“Wasn’t ‘katawa’ a discriminatory term?”

“It ‘became’ discriminatory. They used to use it all the time.”

“There are a lot of moe-type eroge like thi reallys. But that title is totally out of line.”

“That title is going too far.”

“I cannot understand this.”

“Amazing title there.”

“Somebody tell them that ‘katawa’ is banned from TV in Japan…”

“It’s ‘voluntary restraint’ by stations so you can use it as much as you like in drama or print.”

“The naming is a bit…”

“The naming isn’t ‘a bit…’ – it’s totally out of line!”

“This is completely AUTO.”

“Disgusting.”

[In English:] “i don’t like discrimination. it shouldn’t mention it.”

[In response to a Japanese Kotaku writer who took the ultra-politically-correct measure of writing "deaf" without using kanji:]

“At least write ‘deaf’ using kanji [so ろうあ becomes 聾唖], you can’t even read your writing properly otherwise. People who right ‘disabled’ half in kanji and half in kana [by omitting the '害' character for 'harm' so 'disabled person' goes from '障害者' to '障がい者'] are just as bad.”

“The people who thought this up are the real cripples.”

“They have explained about the name themselves, back in 2008:”

[English version, they also provide a shorter Japanese version which more heavily stresses their poor Japanese skills - although their apparent lack of awareness of the controversy surrounding English terms like "handicapped" and "cripple" is probably equally telling:]

“As expected, the name of the project sparked controversy, but in an even larger proportion than what I thought it would.

To explain what’s all this about, the word ‘katawa’ is quite degoratory in Japanese, perhaps comparable to English racial slurs like chink, spic and so on.

As you can guess, if we were making a heart-warming visual novel about the hard life of jewish school kids in the WW2 Germany and name it ‘Kike Girls’, it might raise a few eyebrows.

Maybe a reasonable translation of Katawa Shoujo would be ‘Retard Girls’, which is equally offensive though not exactly accurate. Anyway, it’s a really really bad idea to name the game that, so why? Why?

It’s not like we intentionally want to offend, and we did not come up with the name ourselves. The origin of the name is of course Japan itself, with Raita and his original concept picture of KS.

Due to the name being readily available from the picture and the general idea of staying as true to it as possible, the name was adopted to the project without a second thought (and I don’t think anyone with enough finesse in Japanese was around at the time to point out the problem with the name).

Raita is not to blame though, he can name his doujin extras whatever he wants, the reason or blame is in the strange circumstances of the conception of this game.

So why not change the name? We have thought about changing the name for this very reason before (and also because an English game having a Japanese name felt odd to some), but gave up on it because it would be patently stupid.

Due to our relatively high profile the project would just end up as ‘the game formerly known as Katawa Shoujo’ and it would change absolutely nothing. So we kept the name, and we probably will even in the future.”

“Don’t they have a poor girl as well?”

“What about Ainu?”

“Burn victims are disabled? This I did not know.”

“I did some research after wondering about this. [He quotes the various equivalent grades of disfigurement and disability recognised by the Japanese government.] So, it seems it is recognised as a disability. However, the ‘gross outward disfigurement’ doesn’t apply to men (all this is apparently upheld by supreme court rulings).”

“Thanks. I had no idea it was determined in such detail.”

“Disability pensions and disability benefits are handled by two totally different systems though.”

“Foreigners made this? But they still made the art look Japanese?”

“Stinks like Koreans.”

“Koreans loathe disabled people, there’s no way they would think them worthy of romantic attention.”

“How could a girl with no arms or burns on her face engage in a romantic relationship? It’s impossible, isn’t it?”

“Can they get away with making eroge overseas? I expect they’ll be bashing Japan again for this in any case.”

“I can do without guro, but if this is a tear-jerker then I’m all for it.”

“They finished this? Is there really demand for it…”

“Wow. Gross.”

“People who play this are handicapped themselves.”

“So they made a barrier-free eroge! Foreigners have pioneered an undeveloped genre…”

“So do all the girls have penises or what?”

“I remember in ONE there is a scene with an actual retard, I was pretty shocked. Even more so that there was an ero-scene with her…”

“ONE had blind, mute and deaf girls, as well as a mentally disabled girl. She sounded like Pikachu.”

“This is just a rehash of doing those blind and retarded girls in ONE.”

“Are girls with flat chests cripples too?”
Got this from Sancom
http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2012/01/0 ... wa-shoujo/
sporkaganza

Re: Online Japanese KS reception

Post by sporkaganza »

“How could a girl with no arms or burns on her face engage in a romantic relationship? It’s impossible, isn’t it?”
Wow, fuck this guy.
MDV

Post by MDV »

It's SanCom, take it with a grain of salt. Artefact is a known sensationalist, he probably picks out the most negative of responses to publish on Sankaku.
sporkaganza

Post by sporkaganza »

MDV wrote:It's SanCom, take it with a grain of salt. Artefact is a known sensationalist, he probably picks out the most negative of responses to publish on Sankaku.
Hey, the neutral ones are probably pretty boring, right? What worries me more is that there seems to be a profound lack of positive reaction - although that might be because I don't think the Japanese translation hasn't been released yet to my knowledge. I remember when the Japanese translation of Act 1 came out, a few people quite liked it.
erwtsnert

Post by erwtsnert »

MDV wrote:It's SanCom, take it with a grain of salt. Artefact is a known sensationalist, he probably picks out the most negative of responses to publish on Sankaku.

It's still pretty sad to see so many biased comments....
Jintor

Post by Jintor »

Yeah, but - like someone said - if Japan had released a visual novel called "Kike Girl" imagine the 4chan comments.

Post by Guest »

Jintor wrote:Yeah, but - like someone said - if Japan had released a visual novel called "Kike Girl" imagine the 4chan comments.
People would probably laugh at it and joke about how much of an awesome name it is, or spam threads about the visual novel with A Wyatt Mann's 'Nobody Wants, Nobody Likes Kikes Kikes Kikes!'. I don't think many people would really be offended at all. Reddit however..
sporkaganza

Post by sporkaganza »

Jintor wrote:Yeah, but - like someone said - if Japan had released a visual novel called "Kike Girl" imagine the 4chan comments.
Yeah, I think that's the main issue. The devs keep on saying "We should stick with the title", but... no, they shouldn't really. If it's offensive, you change it. Even if the stigma still lingers, it shows you actually understand the situation.

Whatever. This game wasn't made for the Japanese. It wasn't really made for anybody except the devs, really.
FrozenKimchi

Post by FrozenKimchi »

To be honest, I would have a weird view of KS if I didn't play it.
That's why I'm really happy that the game was finally released.
But pity the the 2ch's negative people, there's no Japanese version for them to play.
Jintor

Post by Jintor »

Guest wrote:
People would probably laugh at it and joke about how much of an awesome name it is, or spam threads about the visual novel with A Wyatt Mann's 'Nobody Wants, Nobody Likes Kikes Kikes Kikes!'. I don't think many people would really be offended at all. Reddit however..
I don't really know the format, but which is 2Chan closer towards, Reddit or 4chan?

It doesn't really matter, you can't have an actual critical reaction to Katawa Shoujo without playing the damn thing. Anything else is just a knee-jerk response.
alabaster

Post by alabaster »

sporkaganza wrote: Whatever. This game wasn't made for the Japanese. It wasn't really made for anybody except the devs, really.
I was going to say something along these lines. Given how profoundly the game has affected some of us over here... I found it beautiful and heartbreaking, and if they don't get it in Japan, I don't really mind. Besides, at this point it seems all they're going on is the title, not the content.
erwtsnert

Post by erwtsnert »

Jintor wrote:
Guest wrote:
I don't really know the format, but which is 2Chan closer towards, Reddit or 4chan?

It doesn't really matter, you can't have an actual critical reaction to Katawa Shoujo without playing the damn thing. Anything else is just a knee-jerk response.
Not exactly sure what you mean with format, but if you mean the layout(basically) then i would say 4chan.

After all, 2chan had another server in case 2chan went down, 2ch(or other way around) which the English-speaking community took as their layout.

Post by Guest »

alabaster wrote:
sporkaganza wrote: Whatever. This game wasn't made for the Japanese. It wasn't really made for anybody except the devs, really.
I was going to say something along these lines. Given how profoundly the game has affected some of us over here... I found it beautiful and heartbreaking, and if they don't get it in Japan, I don't really mind. Besides, at this point it seems all they're going on is the title, not the content.

There's still no Japanese translation, so yeah :/
Esa94

Post by Esa94 »

erwtsnert wrote: After all, 2chan had another server in case 2chan went down, 2ch(or other way around) which the English-speaking community took as their layout.
2chan.net is Futaba Channel, originally 2channel's temp but nowadays I believe it's fairly separate.
Poly

Post by Poly »

I'm thinking of sending this game to a few professor at my school to see what they think of it (My school is big into diversity) but some of the Japanese teachers kinda.... gave me a weird look at the title. I explained to them the idea of the game, but they don't like the title all that much. Some people I know played it and loved it.

They'll have to get back to me when the semester starts again though.