Ask!

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Aura
>has heterochromia

Re: Ask!

Post by Aura »

Cereal_Guy_Dan wrote:First, thank you once again for being open to accept questions. Your job on KS was finished long ago, yet you continue to grace your fanbase w/ accessibility. It's very much appreciated.

Sorry if it's been asked before - mainly a Hanako path/Crud/Suriko question - but would be glad to hear from any writer about any path. Are there any specific scenes in which you consciously wrote Hisao to make a faulty assumption about something rather ambiguous (not counting major plot points, obviously)?

Specific scene in mind is when H reveals his scar to Hanako and afterwards she looks at her watch and starts to say something, but he cuts her off and says something like "I'd better be going. Be glad to get some sleep". I've wondered if she may have been checking the time to see if there was time to do something together (such as a trip to the Shanghai) - but drops it when he cuts her off. Is this/is there a scene written specifically in which he "drops the ball" as a result of how he misinterprets a situation?

Oh, one other quick thing - I know Aura has written additional material on this forum as well as Crud on his blog - could you please point me to any 4LS writer generated additional KS material in public forum? Any fave fanfics?
Hisao for sure is imperfect with these things, and drops the ball many times during the story.

It's pretty questionable to call our crap "additional material". The stuff out there is mostly just random things we wrote for laughs, or because we talked about something outlandish, or were drinking alone on a Tuesday night. Just search the fanfiction subforum for topics started by 4LS members, and you'll find weird shit like these.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Sgt Spice wrote:I have a question, two questions for Aura

Would Rin only get the offer for a scholarship should she go back into the exhibition, or would she had been offered it regardless of whether or not she stayed there? Is the sole requirement for getting offered the scholarship dependent on her presence or could it have been offered to Rin through Nomiya by whoever offered it?

Also does Rin even do the exhibition in the other arcs, or only through hers?
No, the offer she got wasn't hanging on the exhibition.

She doesn't do the exhibition in the other four stories.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
Carighan

Post by Carighan »

Aura wrote:Just search the fanfiction subforum for topics started by 4LS members, and you'll find weird shit like these.

The hell did I just read?!
The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.
BlackWaltzTheThird

Post by BlackWaltzTheThird »

Carighan wrote:
Aura wrote:Just search the fanfiction subforum for topics started by 4LS members, and you'll find weird shit like these.

The hell did I just read?!
Aren't they glorious? Or maybe that's not the word you were thinking of...
BlackWaltz's One-stop Oneshot Shop - my fanfiction portal topic. Contains links to all my previous works, plus starting now any new ones I may produce (or reproduce)! Please, check it out!

BlackWaltz's Pastebin - for those who prefer to read things with no formatting and stuff. It's mostly the same as in my thread. Also contains assorted other writing!
Iwanakosonlyfanboy

Post by Iwanakosonlyfanboy »

Hey Aura! I was browsing the Mishimmie a couple days ago, and noticed that you made a character named Natsume, I was wondering what was her story, like, what's her personality like? If you already answered this question, I'm sorry for asking. Thank you, and have a good day/night.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Iwanakosonlyfanboy wrote:Hey Aura! I was browsing the Mishimmie a couple days ago, and noticed that you made a character named Natsume, I was wondering what was her story, like, what's her personality like? If you already answered this question, I'm sorry for asking. Thank you, and have a good day/night.
I didn't make her. She's a "moeified" visualization of me, designed by our art staff because they thought it'd be funny. There's no story or personality or anything, but I've adopted her as an occasional avatar for myself because that's kinda what she is.
KeiichiO

Post by KeiichiO »

Aura wrote:
Iwanakosonlyfanboy wrote:Hey Aura! I was browsing the Mishimmie a couple days ago, and noticed that you made a character named Natsume, I was wondering what was her story, like, what's her personality like? If you already answered this question, I'm sorry for asking. Thank you, and have a good day/night.
I didn't make her. She's a "moeified" visualization of me, designed by our art staff because they thought it'd be funny. There's no story or personality or anything, but I've adopted her as an occasional avatar for myself because that's kinda what she is.
Sooo, now that I know the back story to Natsume, adding her in my fan fiction is going to be a bit weird. While writing about her, I'm now going to be thinking about the Rin writer. Uhhhh, awkward...
Iwanakosonlyfanboy

Post by Iwanakosonlyfanboy »

Aura wrote:
Oh! Makes sense, Thank you for answering, Would you mind if I made a short story about her?
mav807

Post by mav807 »

This is a question to anyone on the team who can answer it. Are you guys able to know how many times Katawa Shoujo has been downloaded, and would you be willing to realease that info? Thanks in advance :D
Torgh

Post by Torgh »

Man, I don't have any questions. Nothing but praise. Like, before this, I had never watched an anime, read a manga, or even heard of a VN. One of my friends told me about it, describing it as a 'dating sim', and I said 'Hah! That sounds fu-fu as shit. I ain't gonna play that.'

But he just kept pestering me every day so eventually I picked it up just to get him off my back.

Ho. Ly. Crap. This game came out of left field and caught me right on the feels with a crashing left hook. The friend gave me a guide to get the 'good endings' of course, so I knew what choices to make from the start, but even then I did not expect some 'fu fu anime game' to make my ass cry at the keyboard. Moments like Shizune accepting your confession at the festival, Emi's reaction to you saying 'I love you' to her for the first time, and Rin's final screen with her arms spread and the wind blowing all got me. Got me good, or bad. I still can't believe this was free, seeing as it was the best gameplay experience I've had in many years, from immersion, to the ups, to the downs, and to...just, everything!

In short: fantastic. Fucking. Game. Kudos.
"Hey, wait. So, if I'm a rhino, you're a scorpion and he's an octopus, what's a Mysterio?"
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

Will there be more artbooks? :)
Torgh wrote:Man, I don't have any questions.
In short: fantastic. Fucking. Game. Kudos.
Then please post in the "feels-bazaar" instead. This thread is only for questions (and answers ;)).
Last edited by OtakuNinja on Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer
(Passively working on my KS YouTube series. Someday...)
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

mav807 wrote:This is a question to anyone on the team who can answer it. Are you guys able to know how many times Katawa Shoujo has been downloaded, and would you be willing to realease that info? Thanks in advance :D
We don't track that, and since KS is free to redistribute it wouldn't be possible to know in the first place. We've done some estimates based on some short periods of limited tracking we did, and the best guesstimate is that it's at about 500 000-600 000 copies now. However it might be off by a lot, to either direction.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

OtakuNinja wrote:Will there be more artbooks? :)
It's pretty likely (but not set in stone) that we do something this year for Japan.
Cereal_Guy_Dan

Post by Cereal_Guy_Dan »

Aura wrote:Hisao for sure is imperfect with these things, and drops the ball many times during the story.

It's pretty questionable to call our crap "additional material". The stuff out there is mostly just random things we wrote for laughs, or because we talked about something outlandish, or were drinking alone on a Tuesday night. Just search the fanfiction subforum for topics started by 4LS members, and you'll find weird shit like these.
One of things i enjoy most about the story is that you've all written Hisao fairly fallible. Many similar stories feature a protagonist who always knows what to say/do/what gifts to give/etc. Real life is making assumptions and being completely wrong sometimes - and often learning the most from those instances.

Thanks for the heads up for the er.. other stuff. In some of these the best part is trying to gauge the moment the story will go from "seems legit" to "it seems unlikely he could fit that many marshmallows in there - and it's wildly inappropriate, regardless" (for example).
ArcCain

Post by ArcCain »

After you get Hanakos good ending, dose the same stuff that happens in Lilly´s story happen, but now Hanako is together whit Hisao, aka, she get´s more involved whit other people, joins a club, they go on the trip to Lilly´s place?
A good writer knows his limits. A great writer finds ways around them.