Ask!

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Mirage_GSM

Re: Ask!

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Rikabro wrote:Well, I said he doesn't, not that he shouldn't. You can certainly take for granted his impact on the finished product but it's interesting to know more specifically what was the nature of his input.
You're right, maybe it's more obvious to me, because I've seen his work instead of simply experiencing it...
Every change of background, character posture or expression, character movement on the screen, change in music piece or volume etc. requires a line of code which has been done by Delta.
To give you a rough idea: The scene at Emi's house (Just because it's the one I'm translating at the moment) has almost as many lines of directing code as it has lines of dialogue. And that is a scene with only three characters and hardly any effects.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Josh_Mac

Post by Josh_Mac »

I have a question just kinda for whoever was in charge as far as accountability goes.

Reading the archived version of the forum (I hope you guys don't mind; considering it wasn't removed I assume it's not an issue), I notice you guys set a lot of "arbitrary deadlines" and such. Were these literally just like "hey let's have such-and-such done by X date," or was there some penalty for not meeting the deadlines? I ask because I'm in a similar situation, with a group of people working non-profit on a similar project. However, there's not really any motivator to make people meet deadlines, save personal drive, and I'm curious how you guys made sure everyone was on top of things.

Thanks in advance!
Suriko
Lilly Writer, Hanako Co-Writer, Producer

Post by Suriko »

Josh_Mac wrote:I have a question just kinda for whoever was in charge as far as accountability goes.

Reading the archived version of the forum (I hope you guys don't mind; considering it wasn't removed I assume it's not an issue), I notice you guys set a lot of "arbitrary deadlines" and such. Were these literally just like "hey let's have such-and-such done by X date," or was there some penalty for not meeting the deadlines? I ask because I'm in a similar situation, with a group of people working non-profit on a similar project. However, there's not really any motivator to make people meet deadlines, save personal drive, and I'm curious how you guys made sure everyone was on top of things.

Thanks in advance!
Deadlines don't work. We toyed with a few ideas during the development of KS, but nothing stuck and we pretty much gave up on artificial motivators by the time there were a couple of years left.

In the end, there are only three things that'll motivate a developer - personal motivation that's up to themselves, a paycheck, or standing behind them with a gun. KS was free, and to my knowledge at least didn't end up with weaponry pointed at anyone to work (even if a few developers would dearly have liked to book a flight and done so for some), so that leaves option 1. Over the years, we developed a sense of duty to each other to pull through, and between many of us there was also a sense of friendship, and that's what got most to do their stuff.

Find a talented developer, make sure they're someone you can at least tolerate working beside, and hope they have the internal motivation to work. That's all you can do, and is also why the vast majority of free projects fail.
retglu

Post by retglu »

Probable longshot, I remember seeing some hand-written notes on Hanako's path (crud's I guess?) somewhere on the public internet. Used the nickname 'Hana' throughout, mentioned an audiophile hobby and some old friends among other things. Went through crud's blog and recent posts here and whatever sensible search queries I could think of, no dice. Anyone know?
cpl_crud
Project Scapegoat

Post by cpl_crud »

retglu wrote:Probable longshot, I remember seeing some hand-written notes on Hanako's path (crud's I guess?) somewhere on the public internet. Used the nickname 'Hana' throughout, mentioned an audiophile hobby and some old friends among other things. Went through crud's blog and recent posts here and whatever sensible search queries I could think of, no dice. Anyone know?

I vaugely remember scanning something to that effect a long time ago. I think I found it in a notebook that I was using at work at the time.

I will admit that at the time I had put up a bunch of things about Hanako that were shameless self-insertions, but they weren't intended to be that way. I was using examples from my world to illustrate some ideas that I had, but then thigns got a little carried away.

Should I find those notes again I may scan them again, but I'm not about to go through the five or so pre-tablet notbooks that I used from those days...
My Novel - Now available The Zemlya Conspiracy
Blog: http://cplcrud.WordPress.com

------
<Suriko> Crud would be patting Hanako's head
<Suriko> In a non-creepy fatherly way
<NicolArmarfi> crud is trying to dress hanako up like miku and attempting to get her to pose for him in headphones and he burns money
Pseudogenesis

Post by Pseudogenesis »

Aura wrote: - He won't forgive if I don't mention this: He drew a CG for KS! The crayon drawing of child Hanako is his handiwork.

That CG made the novel.
The biggest dilemma in Katawa Shoujo:
'Should I recommend this to my friends or do I want them to continue to see me as mentally healthy?'

Mashup of the month: "Damn It Feels Good To Be a Cripple"
Shockproof Jamo

Post by Shockproof Jamo »

Aura wrote:the spinning CG when Hisao and Rin are smoking,
This "Marlboro-moment" is my absolute favourite moment in the game where the visuals are concerned, so my compliments to the chef.
Aura wrote:The crayon drawing of child Hanako
This reminds me again: Were there ever any plans during development to possibly create and show proper flashbacks of Emi's and Hanako's accidents in glorious, fully detailed CG?
cpl_crud
Project Scapegoat

Post by cpl_crud »

Shockproof Jamo wrote:
Aura wrote:the spinning CG when Hisao and Rin are smoking,
This "Marlboro-moment" is my absolute favourite moment in the game where the visuals are concerned, so my compliments to the chef.
Aura wrote:The crayon drawing of child Hanako
This reminds me again: Were there ever any plans during development to possibly create and show proper flashbacks of Emi's and Hanako's accidents in glorious, fully detailed CG?

I did write a scene for one of the older Hanako paths that detailed the fire, however it clashed with Suriko's version of Act 3/4 so it was cut.
My Novel - Now available The Zemlya Conspiracy
Blog: http://cplcrud.WordPress.com

------
<Suriko> Crud would be patting Hanako's head
<Suriko> In a non-creepy fatherly way
<NicolArmarfi> crud is trying to dress hanako up like miku and attempting to get her to pose for him in headphones and he burns money
haname

Post by haname »

hey...can i ask if the 4leafstudios will make a part2/continuation of katawa shoujo?? :D
Bacon Elemental

Post by Bacon Elemental »

haname wrote:hey...can i ask if the 4leafstudios will make a part2/continuation of katawa shoujo?? :D
Suriko wrote:Q: Will there be a fandisc, sequel, or prequel to Katawa Shoujo?
A: No. There will be no other work in any way related to Katawa Shoujo.
Here you go. :)
Great Cthulhu

Post by Great Cthulhu »

To Aura:

Was there any reason you were inspired you to use the different dialog windows and interfaces that show up in Rin's route, such as the white screen one with "Passing of Time" playing?
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Rin>Hanako>Shizune>Emi>Lilly
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Great Cthulhu wrote:To Aura:

Was there any reason you were inspired you to use the different dialog windows and interfaces that show up in Rin's route, such as the white screen one with "Passing of Time" playing?
Well, effects in general are used for added impact, to catch attention. As for why the specific ones, there are no big reasons. They fit the situations they are in, follow conventions (the common visual "language"), and so on.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

I don't remember seeing different dialog windows? :?
Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer
(Passively working on my KS YouTube series. Someday...)
BlackWaltzTheThird

Post by BlackWaltzTheThird »

OtakuNinja wrote:

I don't remember seeing different dialog windows? :?
Check out one of Rin's rants. There's dialogue boxes that take up the whole screen. Also during Rin's festival scene there is bold text that appears without a box behind it.
BlackWaltz's One-stop Oneshot Shop - my fanfiction portal topic. Contains links to all my previous works, plus starting now any new ones I may produce (or reproduce)! Please, check it out!

BlackWaltz's Pastebin - for those who prefer to read things with no formatting and stuff. It's mostly the same as in my thread. Also contains assorted other writing!
Carighan

Post by Carighan »

Suriko wrote:We talk shit on IRC a bunch, and a number of the artists are on MSN. I'm a pretty private (read shy) person, so my circle of private contacts is pretty small, and I don't bother with things like Facebook.
Sorry that I pick this seemingly random one out, but it was what reminded me of a question I wanted to ask:
  • Were any paths either written by someone with the corresponding (or a similar) disability, or did someone with it help with details of the character?
Also, horrible game. Really, really horrible. I don't think I ever cried so much over a video game.
(Easily GOTY 2012 for me :X )
The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.