Ask!

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

MoogleDee

Re: Ask!

Post by MoogleDee »

I feel it's necessary to thank all of you again for this VN. It was, and continues to be, a truly magical experience each time my thoughts drift back to it. For personal reasons, I'm especially grateful to Aura and everyone else involved with Rin's route.

This was a fun little thread to read while listening to the soundtrack. On to the question!
TheHivemind wrote:To date, Emi's path is the most complete work of long fiction I've ever written. Which is depressing on one hand but also gives me the motivation to write other stuff too, otherwise I'm going to be haunted by that bloody storage shed for the rest of my life.
Are there any specific scenes for the writers, (or artists for that matter), that 'haunt' you for reasons being humorous or otherwise? I realize there's likely to be areas that you wish could have been more refined or coherent to the overall story given more time and I apologize about the broadness of the question.
"...in the end I'm not really happy with who I am either, but that doesn't mean I regret being who I am."
TheHivemind
Path Writer

Post by TheHivemind »

MoogleDee wrote:I feel it's necessary to thank all of you again for this VN. It was, and continues to be, a truly magical experience each time my thoughts drift back to it. For personal reasons, I'm especially grateful to Aura and everyone else involved with Rin's route.

This was a fun little thread to read while listening to the soundtrack. On to the question!
TheHivemind wrote:To date, Emi's path is the most complete work of long fiction I've ever written. Which is depressing on one hand but also gives me the motivation to write other stuff too, otherwise I'm going to be haunted by that bloody storage shed for the rest of my life.
Are there any specific scenes for the writers, (or artists for that matter), that 'haunt' you for reasons being humorous or otherwise? I realize there's likely to be areas that you wish could have been more refined or coherent to the overall story given more time and I apologize about the broadness of the question.
You've already got my answer there--I don't exactly have any regrets about the scene being as odd as it is, but I didn't expect it to be as iconic as seems to have become.

The stock answer is that you're happy with the finished product, but at the same time I'm certain that a lot of it could be polished up and re-written. I couldn't, if pressed, actually come up with anything specific.
wolvenfire86

Post by wolvenfire86 »

Do you have have a copy of the script used for Katatwa Shoujo before it was coded? I want to get involved in VNs, but I have never written one before and need a reference as a guide. Since this VN was absolutely incredible, I would love to see what you (Aura) and the other writers wrote, like what actually popped out of your heads and how you wrote it down on paper before the story hit the Ren'py Engine.
bradpara

Post by bradpara »

Silly question:

Does Jigoro actually know how to use hs sword?
Shizune=Hanako>Lilly>Emi=Rin
Family Game Night A Shizune After Story Fic
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

wolvenfire86 wrote:Do you have have a copy of the script used for Katatwa Shoujo before it was coded? I want to get involved in VNs, but I have never written one before and need a reference as a guide. Since this VN was absolutely incredible, I would love to see what you (Aura) and the other writers wrote, like what actually popped out of your heads and how you wrote it down on paper before the story hit the Ren'py Engine.
I'm not sure what you think the "coding" did to the script? What you can read in the game is exactly how it was originally written. The coding only added the visual and audio cues.

Writing script for a VN like KS is somewhere between writing straight prose and a theatre play script. The visualization cuts the need to describe stuff extensively, so the two things that have most weight are the dialogue and the inner thoughts of the POV character. This is not the only way one can go about writing a VN, however.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

bradpara wrote:Silly question:

Does Jigoro actually know how to use hs sword?
Better not try your luck.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
rydiafan

Post by rydiafan »

To any of the Devs ..... is there anything that you would like to change about KS now that you had time to think about it ??
Mumei

Post by Mumei »

Is there any chance of the devs letting the Japanese translation team revamp some of the Japanese text/references in-game? I'm thinking specifically of Iwanako's letter, but then there's also little things like the distance between Miyagi and Saitama prefectures and being able to get a turkey sandwich that would stand out to Japanese players.

Also, why did Hisao just happen to be carrying around a condom in his pocket in Hanako's route? "Just in case"?
Brogurt

Post by Brogurt »

Anonymous has a question for you. Is it paint?
dev0.png
dev0.png (665.12 KiB) Viewed 5266 times
dev1.png
dev1.png (111.9 KiB) Viewed 5266 times
Guestimate

Post by Guestimate »

Here's a random one for you. Shouldn't it be hard, considering the story is set in Japan, for people to pronounce Lily's name? Or is it just a translation convention?
Suriko
Lilly Writer, Hanako Co-Writer, Producer

Post by Suriko »

It's paint.

Pronunciation of "Lilly" isn't hard, even for Japanese.
BlackWaltzTheThird

Post by BlackWaltzTheThird »

Having gone beyond the original art and created a slew of side characters to feature in the finished product, you often state that the reason other routes don't exist is to stay true to RAITA's drawing. Having said that, if that decision was not made, which original character (male or female) would you have liked to have a route for, and why?
BlackWaltz's One-stop Oneshot Shop - my fanfiction portal topic. Contains links to all my previous works, plus starting now any new ones I may produce (or reproduce)! Please, check it out!

BlackWaltz's Pastebin - for those who prefer to read things with no formatting and stuff. It's mostly the same as in my thread. Also contains assorted other writing!
Drakelord

Post by Drakelord »

Did Rin really paint the Mona Lisa...?
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

rydiafan wrote:To any of the Devs ..... is there anything that you would like to change about KS now that you had time to think about it ??
For sure, many many things. Nothing's ever perfect, and KS definitely isn't. Even when we released, there were parts we were not 100% content with, but deemed merely "good enough". That's the thing with making something, at some point you have to decide that it's finished.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Mumei wrote:Is there any chance of the devs letting the Japanese translation team revamp some of the Japanese text/references in-game? I'm thinking specifically of Iwanako's letter, but then there's also little things like the distance between Miyagi and Saitama prefectures and being able to get a turkey sandwich that would stand out to Japanese players.

Also, why did Hisao just happen to be carrying around a condom in his pocket in Hanako's route? "Just in case"?
If there's reason to, sure.

Just in case.