Ask!

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Liminaut

Re: Ask!

Post by Liminaut »

Heh. I thought that comment meant that Emi and Misha had been friends with benefits at one point. I may have been reading a little too much into it :-)
ksfan1989

Post by ksfan1989 »

My guess was that it was just one of those things that everyone thought was obvious and Hisao was just being dense. Because, let's face it, that's pretty in character for him. It's nice to have an explanation for the line though, it seemed a bit out of place.

I can't say the thought of Emi having had a fling with Misha ever crossed my mind. Seeing how Emi is like the anti-Shizune I don't know that she'd be Misha's type.

Thanks for clarifying guys, and y'know, for the game and all.
TheHivemind
Path Writer

Post by TheHivemind »

Liminaut wrote:Heh. I thought that comment meant that Emi and Misha had been friends with benefits at one point. I may have been reading a little too much into it :-)
Ha ha ha yes how ridiculous.
<_<
>_>
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

Mayhap we should just make the Ask! thread redirect to the Fanfiction section, Hive. :lol:
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

sanduba

Post by sanduba »

Who came up with the character names? I found some really old forum posts, and apparently Shizune's early name was Rosa.
Best story:
Hanako > Rin > Lilly > Emi > Shizune

best girl:
Lilly > Shizune > Emi > Hanako > Rin

Eh, that's my opinion.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

The main cast's names were decided by voting before 4LS's time. After that, the writers came up with the names for the minor characters in their respective stories with the exception of Hivemind. In addition crud is responsible for many names including Iwanako, Yuuko, Misha, and Kenji while I came up with the names for Natsume, Naomi, Taro, Suzu, Takashi and Miki. As a bonus, all the kanji readings are by me and hir.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
Liminaut

Post by Liminaut »

The story of 4LS is quite remarkable.

-- A group formed itself around a common vision
-- With members from all over the world
-- Established roles without a hierarchy
-- Maintained itself after losing key members
-- Maintained itself over a very long haul
-- Was composed of strong personalities that managed to work together to a common goal
-- And produced something remarkable in the end

I believe that the story of 4L itself is valuable. All the details of what it was like to work across continents; what it was like to maintain moral through cycles of despair, exhilaration, and burnout; what it was like to have arguments without losing respect.

What 4LS did organizationally was something a lot of very bright people are trying to figure out how to make work on a regular basis. For instance, a big goal of Occupy Wall Street was trying to figure out how to have a political movement without having a hierarchy. I believe that the story of 4LS and exactly how you did it could do a lot of good in the world and become a template for other organizations to use.

My ask is: Could 4LS produce a book based on the experiences of creating KS? I could see the 4LS experience becoming a template for other projects.

If one wanted to be painfully PoPoMo, one could suggest producing a VN about producing VNs, but serious contemplation of that project would likely drive Cthulhu into therapy.

The bit about the VN is a joke. The bit about a work about the story of 4LS is absolutely serious, and I genuinely think it would do a lot of good.
cpl_crud
Project Scapegoat

Post by cpl_crud »

Liminaut wrote:The story of 4LS is quite remarkable.

My ask is: Could 4LS produce a book based on the experiences of creating KS? I could see the 4LS experience becoming a template for other projects.

Whilst I would actually enjoy doing something like that, I'm not sure if I would actually be able to do it. Plus the big lesson would basically be "roll with the punches - there will be many".

However, there is a good HBR article about a company that is successful without a defined hierarchy:
http://hbr.org/2011/12/first-lets-fire-all-the-managers

This is not the only company that follows this format, but it was the first one that came to mind (and, through some strange fluke, it appears that you can read it free on HBR.org).
My Novel - Now available The Zemlya Conspiracy
Blog: http://cplcrud.WordPress.com

------
<Suriko> Crud would be patting Hanako's head
<Suriko> In a non-creepy fatherly way
<NicolArmarfi> crud is trying to dress hanako up like miku and attempting to get her to pose for him in headphones and he burns money
Bad Apple

Post by Bad Apple »

TheHivemind wrote:
Liminaut wrote:Heh. I thought that comment meant that Emi and Misha had been friends with benefits at one point. I may have been reading a little too much into it :-)
<_<
>_>
...And thus, Emisha was officially born...

My God, what have you done!
cpl_crud wrote:
Liminaut wrote:The story of 4LS is quite remarkable.

However, there is a good HBR article about a company that is successful without a defined hierarchy:
http://hbr.org/2011/12/first-lets-fire-all-the-managers
Fun fact: Valve operates this way as well.

TL;DR on the article: The limits of management and the mention of self-management by name and in practice. Much like Morning Star (the company discussed), it is actually not unusual for groups organized via the Internet to operate this way or that way, etc. Historically (in meatspace) these theories are never put in practice for long before being shot down by the authorities.

Incidentally 4LS was never terminated by the authorities; all their issues were internal. Without external variables, I don't think the comparison presented is well-founded (regarding anarchic integrity) as it does not fully account for such major differences.

Simply put, if you are interested in a "template" that resembles and predates 4LS's success, all I have to say is: peruse literature lurk moar

An autobio chronicling 4LS's history would still be a welcoming read though
"If the world is cold, make it your business to build fires."
— Horace Traubel
TheHivemind
Path Writer

Post by TheHivemind »

Bad Apple wrote:
TheHivemind wrote:
<_<
>_>
...And thus, Emisha was officially born...

You act as if it wasn't already a thing.

A search of the fanfiction forum would demonstrate otherwise.
delta
Feels Badman

Post by delta »

A Comedy of Errors: The Making Of Katawa Shoujo
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

delta wrote:A Comedy of Errors: The Making Of Katawa Shoujo
Is it bad I would totally pay to see that? I love "Making Of" featurettes :lol:
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Isn't the blog enough? It's flattering if you think we're special, but most of the development was stupid shit that really isn't worth telling about except anecdotally, I feel.

EDIT: By "isn't worth" I obviously mean "would be too embarrassing"
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
TheHivemind
Path Writer

Post by TheHivemind »

Aura wrote:Isn't the blog enough? It's flattering if you think we're special, but most of the development was stupid shit that really isn't worth telling about except anecdotally, I feel.

EDIT: By "isn't worth" I obviously mean "would be too embarrassing"
"Then we called one another nasty names for an hour. Then one of us quit. Then we argued for four hours about the way someone's trousers looked."
Bad Apple

Post by Bad Apple »

TheHivemind wrote:
Bad Apple wrote: ...And thus, Emisha was officially born...

You act as if it wasn't already a thing.

A search of the fanfiction forum would demonstrate otherwise.
With emphasis on officially if I may be so bold... Just like I "officially" could not resist making a godawful romantic portmanteau name for the sake of pun and now will promptly excuse myself as I am running late for my execution by firing squad.
"If the world is cold, make it your business to build fires."
— Horace Traubel