Recommend a VN

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

encrypted12345

Re: Recommend a VN

Post by encrypted12345 »

If anyone wants it, here's a recently made VN recommendation list.
Like any recommendations list, there's a lot of stuff that is missing, but the list is more or less reliable. When you run out of VNs here, just go on [url=http://vndb.org/v/all?q=;fil=tagspoil-2 ... d;s=rating this list of translated VNs on vndb.org[/url] and look for any VN rated 7.5 or up or ask around here.(Like always OPINIONS apply). Anyways, there are some things I feel like pointing out.

Pacing Issues
Every VN longer than 10 hours. :lol:

Really bad pacing issues (Yeah, yeah, opinions)
Cross Channel
Clannad
Muv Luv Series

May have Willing Suspension of Disbelief issues (Again, OPINIONS)
Akabei Soft 2 (Sharin No Kuni, A Profile, G-Senjou No Maou)
Yume Miru Kusuri
Key Visual Arts (Clannad, Little Busters)

Post-Modernist as fuck (This is fact, not opinion.)
Forest

Happy reading.
Last edited by encrypted12345 on Sun May 06, 2012 12:56 pm, edited 5 times in total.
sasakikojiro

Post by sasakikojiro »

Mysterious Stranger wrote:
sasakikojiro wrote:I played it already. There is an English patch. It's very playable. The only untranslated parts there is the Achievement Viewer, the whole story is translated. There are some noticeable typos, but its all good.

:D
Well then, I'll go ahead and add it to my list of 25-30 or so visual novels I need to play through before I die.

Right now I'm working on Princess Waltz as my second VN after KS, for the record. Will post another reply when I finish it.

It's pretty discouraging that KS was about as short as VNs come. Just about everything else out there seems to be two or three times as long.
Man I can imagine you playing VNs all day and night on a PC with that list...
:)
~Close Your Mind, Open Your Heart~
Mysterious Stranger

Post by Mysterious Stranger »

sasakikojiro wrote:Man I can imagine you playing VNs all day and night on a PC with that list...
You have no idea how right you are, hahaha.
| Can you see what I see? | To the end of the Waltz... | First stop, Nagoya! | Oh, come, lovely child! | To the World of Dreams | Pray to become starry sky tomorrow... | Please... forget about me... | No music, no future |
encrypted12345

Post by encrypted12345 »

sasakikojiro wrote:Man I can imagine you playing VNs all day and night on a PC with that list...
You have no idea how right you are, hahaha.
I've been playing VNs for a couple of years, and my backlog STILL mocks me. :lol:
AdventSign

Post by AdventSign »

Every game I've tried so far pales in comparison to Katawa Shoujo...why did this have to be my first VN? -_-
encrypted12345

Post by encrypted12345 »

AdventSign wrote:Every game I've tried so far pales in comparison to Katawa Shoujo...why did this have to be my first VN? -_-
Like I say to many people, you're spoiling yourself by trying KS first. Mostly because it doesn't have as many pacing issues many as other VNs have. :lol: It is also pretty damn good.

What VNs have you played out of curiosity?
AdventSign

Post by AdventSign »

encrypted12345 wrote:
AdventSign wrote:Every game I've tried so far pales in comparison to Katawa Shoujo...why did this have to be my first VN? -_-
Like I say to many people, you're spoiling yourself by trying KS first. Mostly because it doesn't have as many pacing issues many as other VNs have. :lol: It is also pretty damn good.

What VNs have you played out of curiosity?
Cross Channel
Yume Miru Kusuri
YU-NO - The Girl that Chants Love at the Edge of the World
Tempester

Post by Tempester »

AdventSign wrote:Cross Channel
Yume Miru Kusuri
You might like to try something more atmospheric and low on padding, as well as short. I recommend Planetarian and Saya no Uta for that. If a medium-length visual novel is comparable to a 26-episode anime, these two are like 2-3 hour movies.
Mmm, crispy!

My avatar is from Muv-Luv.
encrypted12345

Post by encrypted12345 »

Tempester wrote:
AdventSign wrote:Cross Channel
Yume Miru Kusuri
You might like to try something more atmospheric and low on padding, as well as short. I recommend Planetarian and Saya no Uta for that. If a medium-length visual novel is comparable to a 26-episode anime, these two are like 2-3 hour movies.
I can second those recommendations. Quartett also has a great atmosphere and is quite entertaining (Very short and sweet). I also posted up a recommendation list recently, it has the length of the recommended VNs on it.

Oh, True Remembrance and Narcissu also come to mind.
Mysterious Stranger

encrypted12345 wrote:I've been playing VNs for a couple of years, and my backlog STILL mocks me. :lol:
Why would you say something so discouraging?

Anyhow, the only problems with regard to pacing that I've encountered with Princess Waltz (despite it being a 10-30 hour ordeal, according to VNDB - my new favorite site, by the way) have been with the time it took for Chris's reveal, and the sheer number of blatant red herrings thrown in to provoke a modicum of doubt as to her actual gender.
| Can you see what I see? | To the end of the Waltz... | First stop, Nagoya! | Oh, come, lovely child! | To the World of Dreams | Pray to become starry sky tomorrow... | Please... forget about me... | No music, no future |
Enemy |

Post by Enemy | »

I played Narcissu just today, and it was pretty good. Other than the game occasionally freezing up and completely taking me off the history, I liked it a lot. It's a plot-only VN though, so it doesn't really have much replay value. Wondering if I should play the "sequel"
encrypted12345

Post by encrypted12345 »

encrypted12345 wrote:I've been playing VNs for a couple of years, and my backlog STILL mocks me. :lol:
Why would you say something so discouraging?
If it makes you feel any better, I FINALLY got my backlog into the single digits. :lol:
Enemy | wrote:I played Narcissu just today, and it was pretty good. Other than the game occasionally freezing up and completely taking me off the history, I liked it a lot. It's a plot-only VN though, so it doesn't really have much replay value. Wondering if I should play the "sequel"
The sequel isn't as good as the original, but it's worth playing. If you want more visual novels, here's a good if incomplete recommendation chart. IMO, it's missing Princess Waltz, Quartett, Hoshizora no Memoria, and Deardrops.
Tempester

Post by Tempester »

encrypted12345 wrote:IMO, it's missing Princess Waltz, Quartett, Hoshizora no Memoria, and Deardrops.
Is Hoshimemo really that good? Back in 2009 when the VN translation scene was just taking off, people were saying it was okay at best. I do plan on reading it, it's just not one of my priorities.
Mmm, crispy!

My avatar is from Muv-Luv.
encrypted12345

Post by encrypted12345 »

Tempester wrote:
encrypted12345 wrote:IMO, it's missing Princess Waltz, Quartett, Hoshizora no Memoria, and Deardrops.
Is Hoshimemo really that good? Back in 2009 when the VN translation scene was just taking off, people were saying it was okay at best. I do plan on reading it, it's just not one of my priorities.
A lot of people like it. While the translation is iffy, I would give it an 8/10. How much you like it depends largely on how much you like moe and cutesy slice of life mixed with some drama. While it's certainly not the best out there and can be stalled for stuff like Stein's Gate, it's pretty good. The translation has a couple of memes though, so whether or not you can tolerate that is up to you.
Mysterious Stranger

encrypted12345 wrote:The sequel isn't as good as the original, but it's worth playing. If you want more visual novels, here's a good if incomplete recommendation chart. IMO, it's missing Princess Waltz, Quartett, Hoshizora no Memoria, and Deardrops.
Out of curiosity, where on the chart would you place each of those, respectively?