Katawa Shoujo Folding@Home Team

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

AaronIsCrunchy

Re: Katawa Shoujo Folding@Home Team

Post by AaronIsCrunchy »

Thought I'd do this, my computer spends a lot of time just sitting about so I'll give it something worthwhile to do. It's not the most powerful machine in the world (in about half an hour, 0.06% done... nice) but anything that it can do is something that hadn't been done before so that's a nice feeling :) I'll consider it my contribution to this whole #nomakeup thing that seems to be flying about at the moment.
Because green eyes are best eyes.
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9511 - A thread of my drawings. Don't expect a lot.

linkoid

Post by linkoid »

Okay, I understand what this is, but my question is: "Whear is the 'Katawa Shoujo' part?"
AaronIsCrunchy

Post by AaronIsCrunchy »

linkoid wrote:Okay, I understand what this is, but my question is: "Whear is the 'Katawa Shoujo' part?"
There doesn't need to be. It's a good way of getting lots of people to participate in a good cause.
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9511 - A thread of my drawings. Don't expect a lot.

AaronIsCrunchy

Post by AaronIsCrunchy »

I have a question concerning earning points. My computer is definitely not one of the best out there but I decided to do this anyway, seems like a good cause. It's been going about 3 weeks now, and my computer spends on average 10-12 hours on a day (maybe more). I have reached 41%. I guess this is painfully slow progress?

Anyway, I have 0 points over that 3 weeks. Where do points come from, and if I'm not getting them does that mean I'm actually doing doodly-squat? If it's doing something but I'm just not getting points then that's fine, but if I'm doing nothing then that's a bit sucky :(

griffon8

Post by griffon8 »

Points come from completing Work Units. Your computer seems to be chewing on a particularly large WU for its capacity. Unfortunately, if it takes your computer too long to complete, you won't get any points.

In your FAHControl, there should be a list of data about your current WU. The last three (at least in the Mac version) are 'Assigned', 'Timeout', and 'Expiration'. I'm pretty sure that if you have gone beyond the Expiration date, you aren't getting any points.

I am not a troubleshooter, so I don't know what your next step would be, beyond making sure you have the most up-to-date version. Others might find it helpful if you provide your computer's stats.
I found out about Katawa Shoujo through the forums of Misfile. There, I am the editor of Misfiled Dreams.

Completed: 100%, including bonus picture. Shizune>Emi>Lilly>Hanako>Rin

Griffon8's Writing
AaronIsCrunchy

Post by AaronIsCrunchy »

griffon8 wrote:Points come from completing Work Units. Your computer seems to be chewing on a particularly large WU for its capacity. Unfortunately, if it takes your computer too long to complete, you won't get any points.

In your FAHControl, there should be a list of data about your current WU. The last three (at least in the Mac version) are 'Assigned', 'Timeout', and 'Expiration'. I'm pretty sure that if you have gone beyond the Expiration date, you aren't getting any points.

I am not a troubleshooter, so I don't know what your next step would be, beyond making sure you have the most up-to-date version. Others might find it helpful if you provide your computer's stats.
Ah, well the expiry for this one is 1 June, so it's still got a while to go yet :) At least now I know it's doing something, which is what I was worried about, so thanks for the answer!
All the same, my stats I know of are Intel Ivy Bridge Dual-Core 1.5GHz Processor and 6GB RAM. Not sure what else would be useful to know sadly, else I'd post it :/

griffon8

Post by griffon8 »

Okay, that's a big chunk for your computer, but at least it seems to know how much time to give you.

Be sure to get a passkey. The details are in the Identity tab of FAHControl. A passkey in my opinion is less about making sure others can't pretend to be you than it is a way to get bonus points. After getting a passkey and finishing 10 WUs, the points awarded go up by a factor of 10 (IIRC).
I found out about Katawa Shoujo through the forums of Misfile. There, I am the editor of Misfiled Dreams.

Griffon8's Writing
AaronIsCrunchy

Post by AaronIsCrunchy »

griffon8 wrote:Okay, that's a big chunk for your computer, but at least it seems to know how much time to give you.

Be sure to get a passkey. The details are in the Identity tab of FAHControl. A passkey in my opinion is less about making sure others can't pretend to be you than it is a way to get bonus points. After getting a passkey and finishing 10 WUs, the points awarded go up by a factor of 10 (IIRC).
Haha, you posted this JUST as something obviously clicked into place - I'm at 85% now and ETA is around 15 minutes. But yeah, I've got the passkey all sorted so that shouldn't be a problem :)

griffon8

Post by griffon8 »

What clicked into place such that you have doubled your progress?

Griffon8's Writing
AaronIsCrunchy

Post by AaronIsCrunchy »

griffon8 wrote:What clicked into place such that you have doubled your progress?
Hmm, might not have done. It keeps getting to 99.99%, then going back to around 50% and starting again after a while. I'm really not sure what's happening.

EDIT: Seems like we're on business as usual. 45%, 10 days ETA. Not a clue what it was doing today, but it certainly wasn't what it was supposed to be doing.

SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

This looks really interesting... for a couple of weeks now, I'm gonna need my laptop a lot for school, but as soon as Summer starts, I'm very seriously considering doing this. Does it cause massive slow down for anybody?
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
dewelar

Post by dewelar »

SpunkySix wrote:This looks really interesting... for a couple of weeks now, I'm gonna need my laptop a lot for school, but as soon as Summer starts, I'm very seriously considering doing this. Does it cause massive slow down for anybody?
I had it on high for a while, which seemed to slow me down somewhat, so I turned it down to medium and am good now. There's five settings in all, so play around with it if it gives you trouble.
Rin is orthogonal to everything.
Stuff I've written: Developments, a continuation of Lilly's (bad? neutral?) ending - COMPLETE!
DRKO

Post by DRKO »

Max power doesn't phase my computer at all. F@H's thread priority is pretty low by default (I think), meaning it will prefer giving other processes CPU time over F@H when it has to choose. If you have it set to use the GPU, it can make some programs' GUIs or videos lag a bit.

Though given the specs of my computer, it'll probably affect you more than it has me. If you notice it, just bump it down a notch.

Certainly watch your computer's temperature. CPUs > ~80C, GPUs > ~60C, and MOBOs > ~50 are getting dangerous.. 100C is usually the CPU's throttle point, meaning it will slow itself down in order to reduce temperatures, but if you reach that, you're in trouble. I'm not sure if those same numbers translate to laptops as well, but the CPU temperature limits should be awful similar.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Good to know... I'll keep that in mind.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
AaronIsCrunchy

Post by AaronIsCrunchy »

Just completed my first folding, probably a bit more excited than I should've been :lol: At least this one's a bit more manageable in size, not the month-long monolith I got first time round.