Interesting Review (in French)

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

brythain

Interesting Review (in French)

Post by brythain »

Link [HERE].

Summary: Lilly is two-dimensional, Hanako deserved better, Emi is OK, Shizune/Misha would've been better as secondary characters, and Rin is a work of art so congratulations to Aura for a fine job.

I don't necessarily agree. Would any Francophones like to weigh in on this hard-hitting review? :)
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
Steinherz

Re: Interesting Review (in French)

Post by Steinherz »

I linked this to a friend who's French and he's currently explaining it in more detail to me.

And we respected the author a lot..... until she called Hanako's sex scene rape. -50 Respect points Lost

Also, she keeps spelling it "Mischa". OCD senses tingling....
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Oh well, my french is probably a bit rusty, but I think I managed to get the gist of it.

So she thinks there was too much artwork and the work might have been better invested elsewhere? Not sure where she thinks it should have gone instead, though.

About Lilly, she's more or less right. She IS pretty two-dimensional, and several devs have come out and said the same thing.

I don't agree about Hanako, though I admit that much of her true personality comes into the story quite late, so it might not make as much of an impact. Problem is, we see Hanako through the eyes of Hisao, and if he doesn't notice her personality beyond the superficial, neither do the readers.
In that vein, the author is criticizing Hisao's treatment of Hanako without apparently noticing that the VN is ALSO critizizing Hisao's treatment of Hanako :-)
Regarding the good end, either she didn't understand it, or she interprets it in a completely different way than I did^^°

With Emi's route she criticizes that Hisao seems to be pretty attached to the idiot ball - which is true.
I have no idea why she thinks Hisao can't look past her disability. I thought I might have mistranslated that part, but if so I don't know what else she might mean.
Another criticism is that Emi's route is too similar to Yume Miru Kusuri - which I can't comment on, since I haven't read that VN.

Her main criticism about Shizune's route seems to be the notion of a school like Yamaku in gereral and specifically that Shizune has to have lessons translated by another student.
To which I say, yes, of course that's not realistic. Other VNs deal with Vampires, aliens and magical girls. At some point you have to ditch realism to get the premise of the story in there. Deal with it.
It's almost funny that apart from that and the apparent lack of any romance in the path she didn't seem to find anything else to criticize :-)

As for Rin, I mostly agree with the author again, though I felt her path was more weighed towards drama than comedy.

In all I think it is a pretty decent review. In some ways probably a bit harsher than it had to be considering what KS is - basically a fan-project made by volunteers in their free time.
The main criticism she always gets back to is that the stories are not interesting enough, but there are plenty of commercial works out there that are way more cliché.

Edit: Just noticed that the headline says "une otaku". Replaced all masculine pronouns with their feminine conterparts.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

Saw another review, this time in Spanish:

http://www.taringa.net/comunidades/hare ... isual.html

Still no idea on what the fuck it's saying :lol:
I also draw, kind of.
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
FelOnyx

Post by FelOnyx »

Steinherz wrote:Saw another review, this time in Spanish:

http://www.taringa.net/comunidades/hare ... isual.html

Still no idea on what the fuck it's saying :lol:
It's a pretty basic review, the bulk of it is just a translation of the character and story descriptions on the main site, with some brief comments on the individual routes. The reviewer liked the Emi, Hanako and Lily routes, hasn't played Shizune's, and thought that Rin a shit. He laughed at her route and preferred the bad end. :( He commented that the different writers meant that Hisao had no real defined personality. Overall nothing that hasn't been discussed here already.
AlexG wrote:For a moment there I thought Marx woke up as some kind of stripper in the middle ages
BlackGoldShooter wrote:This is what happens when children don't eat their vegetables. First they start manufacturing statuettes. Next they take over the world.
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Well, he basically translated the character bios to Spanish.
The review part is only about one sentence per route and that mostly covers how "difficult" he thinks the route is as well as one adjective per route:
Emi: happy
Hanako: "special"
Lilly: romantic
Rin: funny (and for some reason the simplest route^^°)
Shizune: hasn't read it yet.

And he thinks it's not fair that there's no Misha route.

That's it.

Edit: Ninja'd
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

Ah, okay.

See, I couldn't tell that because, like I said: I don't know Spanish (I can barely understand Portuguese, and half of my family speaks that :lol: )
I also draw, kind of.
300BillionDegrees

Post by 300BillionDegrees »

Google translate is your friend. Weird friend with very strange grammar frequently, but your friend none the less.

Dude also totally spoiled Kenji's route. Twice.